 Off-Topic / Debate / 7137
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:38:02 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:

I like this quote:

The Libertarian Party should be explicitly, and proudly, pro-life. As
Libertarians, we are the party of individual freedom and responsibility.
Intelligent Libertarians know that sex is supposed to result in pregnancy.
The "choice" was made with the decision to engage in sexual activity. An
abortion is a cowardly maneuver to evade personal responsibility.
-- Kyle Vraa, New Brighton, Minnesota

  With all due respect to Kyle, whose credentials on the subject of sex's
"purpose" I have yet to read, this quote proposes a rather arbitrary view.
Who is Kyle to say what "sex is supposed to result" in?  Sex is supposed to
result in sex, and pregnancy sometimes occurs as well.  Abortion, in the
case of a non-sentient embryo (that is, prior to brain activity), is no more
"cowardly" than the use of a condom or the pill.  Once the embryo achieves
brain activity, the choice becomes quite a different subject.

I believe abortion is murder, and should be charged as such in the criminal
court system.

  The removal of a non-sentient tissue structure from the body of a woman
who doesn't want it inside her is not murder.

     Dave!