 Off-Topic / Debate / 7142
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:23:01 GMT

With all due respect to Kyle, whose credentials on the subject of sex's
"purpose" I have yet to read, this quote proposes a rather arbitrary view.
Who is Kyle to say what "sex is supposed to result" in?  Sex is supposed to
result in sex, and pregnancy sometimes occurs as well.

So you're stating that sex is an end to itself, and pregnancy is an
occasional accident?  So basically...we accidentally have a population of
some 6 billion.

I can't agree.

Though sex has its own individual merits, the obvious natural purpose is
reproduction to further the species (from whatever perspective of origins
you carry).

Abortion, in the
case of a non-sentient embryo (that is, prior to brain activity), is no more
"cowardly" than the use of a condom or the pill.  Once the embryo achieves
brain activity, the choice becomes quite a different subject.

The removal of a non-sentient tissue structure from the body of a woman
who doesn't want it inside her is not murder.

Is the fact that it is non-sentient make it non-human?  And what do you
believe about euthanasia for so-called 'vegetables' hooked up to machines?
They aren't sentient either, but they're clearly human.  Does it line up?

Lots of people on the pro-choice side try to excuse the abortion issue as a
religious issue.  Though many faiths are against abortion, its not purely a
religious issue, its a human rights issue.

-Tim