 Off-Topic / Debate / 7143
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:36:56 GMT

Is the fact that it is non-sentient make it non-human?  And what do you
believe about euthanasia for so-called 'vegetables' hooked up to machines?
They aren't sentient either, but they're clearly human.  Does it line up?

Lots of people on the pro-choice side try to excuse the abortion issue as a
religious issue.  Though many faiths are against abortion, its not purely a
religious issue, its a human rights issue.

-Tim

Perhaps you should try listening to "Unplugged" by Spirit of the West, for a
view of it :)

Some of us think that it is NOT up to the government to make a decision on the
matter.  It is a _personal_ choice, and one that if you are wise, you plan
ahead for.

Same as abortion.  I am a pro choicer, but anti death penalty.  (In particular,
if you want examples, there have been several recent US cases in which the
validity of the guilt of the party was questionable at best...for example, if
you declare that "Capital Murder" is only possible for the perosn who pulled
the trigger, how the _snaff_ did _2_ people manage to do it??? (A particular
Texas Case).  Also, look to Canada, where we have had 2 _very_ high profile
cases of convictions of people (and long incarcerations) because of fabricated
evidence.  If we had had a death penalty, it would have been _very_
embarassing, to the government to have to admit to having made a mistake.

I don't trust the US legal system not to screw up at least 1 in 100 cases.

James Powell