 Off-Topic / Debate / 7135
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:10:21 GMT

I missed this ref, it's even better:

http://www.lp.org/lpn/9807-pulse.html

(note that both of these refs were found by typing "abortion" into the
search box at the bottom of the front page of the www.lp.org site...)

I'm in the 4.9% camp at the moment.

++Lar

I like this quote from the page:

The Libertarian Party should be explicitly, and proudly, pro-life. As
Libertarians, we are the party of individual freedom and responsibility.
Intelligent Libertarians know that sex is supposed to result in pregnancy.
The "choice" was made with the decision to engage in sexual activity. An
abortion is a cowardly maneuver to evade personal responsibility.
-- Kyle Vraa, New Brighton, Minnesota

The heart of the issue is personal responsibility of your actions.  Though
the government might not have the right to 'tell us what we can and cannot
do with our bodies,' the government also should not allow taking the life of
an innocent human being, which is genetically individual and fully human
from conception.

As someone halfway between Republican and Libertarian (I'll further define
my position as I examine more issues for myself - but I don't agree to
either extreme as I see it now) - I come from a Pro-Life Republican
background, and think that the Libertarian party should develop that stance.

I believe abortion is murder, and should be charged as such in the criminal
court system.  Basically, if you want to have sex, than accept the risk you
might get pregnant and also accept the responsibility for it.  If you want
to prevent that from happening, use protection, use contraceptives, etc.
But don't kill a child after its been concieved.

And no...I don't have a clear position on the death penalty, because I do
not know all of the issues surrounding it, and have not researched specific
cases etc to develop a stance.  I don't feel the two issues are necessarily
coupled, or deserve to be coupled.  Apples and oranges to me.

-Tim