 Star Wars / 9764
Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 19:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Spears writes:

Anyhow, back to the point, So when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon started using their
powers to the fullest (un sorta), I was thrilled.  The only place I thought
they could have used their powers more was during the fights against Darth
Maul.  When I think of a Jedi and a Sith fighting I would imagine that the
force is every bit as important to the fight as the lightsaber.  If you could
move things with your mind, wouldn't you shove your opponent with the force to
knock them off balance?  I would.

They did.  At least, I know Maul did.  Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn did similar things
at other points in the movies (mostly pushing around Droids).

I think, though, that most of their attunement to the Force during that fight
was probably concentrating on trying to predict what was going to happen next.
If you could constantly look 2 or 3 seconds into the future during a swordfight
to the death, wouldn't you?  Or, even better, if you could read your opponent's
mind to see what they were going to do, wouldn't you?

In all honesty, though, I thought the coolest instance of the Force being used
in TPM was when Maul whips a bit of debris at the controls for the hangar door,
so they open.  It's just such an off-handed use of it while he's got his mind
on other things (ie, watching the Jedi to make sure they don't jump him) that
it makes it seem more real somehow.

eric