 Off-Topic / Debate / 6948
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:18:56 GMT

Ahhh, I know what you mean!  We don't know how Darth Maul thinks -- we don't
hear him talking much and when we do, he doesn't say anything profound or
revealing.  He doesn't interact with anyone else except to fight.  Whereas
we know that Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were *really* bad-guys, Darth
Maul is just a "b**-a** m***** f*****" that you don't want to mess with, but
we can't be sure that he's really got the depth of a true "bad guy."  And he's
certainly not the plot's antagonist character.  He's more like a caged tiger
that you let loose to rip someone apart -- a demon genie that you summon with
some incantation and then put him back in the jar.  I hope that if he does
return in Episode II (as a clone or as a spirit or as his top half floating
on a repulsarlift skateboard) that we see more depth of character.

OK, you got me.  Let me rephrase my words:  Darth Maul is a very cool,
"b**-a** m***** f*****" who's place in the Star Wars universe was to come
in, be cool, do his thing, kill Qui-Gon, get Obi-Wan all mad, and die.  I do
hope that he returns for Ep. II, but I'm skeptical.  His persona fits that
of a hit-man...someone who's sole purpose was to do a job.  That's why I'm
not sure if he's coming back.  He's not a true epic bad guy, as in evil, but
just someone I wouldn't want to tangle with.  Good for his purposes.

Boba Fett was a much better character, IMHO, even though we probably saw less
of him in Episodes V & VI combined than we did of Darth Maul in Episode I
alone.  That's because you could figure out stuff about Boba Fett's history,
and you could see how scared Han was of him when Chewie mentioned that he was
there on the skiff in VI.

Ah, Fett.  My favorite character.  I really look forward to see what Lucas
does to develop him in Ep. II.  Hopefully it won't be something way cheesy
like that Kister kid being Fett, etc...

-Chris