 Star Wars / 9740
Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 00:17:14 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Andrew Tyrone writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

The metallic battle droid voices and phrases like "Roger, Roger" degraded it
a bit for me.

I liked the battle droids, shows how stupid robots can be (and are sometimes).

The dumbest thing about them for me was that their Trade Federation masters had
to appear via holo-radio (or whatever) to give them orders.  Duh!

And the roger-roger guff was silly, but I actually thought it was a fairly good
way of throwing in kiddie-bones without detracting from the movie much.  I
agree that Jar-Jar detracted much more.

The loud fart degraded it for me.  The Midichlorian business
degraded it a bit for me.  I'm hoping that Anakin turns out to be a clone
experiment -- not conceived by the Midichlorians.

I'm surprised that no one complained about him being a Jesus take-off.

The smooth, polished Naboo
ships kinda degraded it for me.

Don't forget, all Naboo star craft represents royalty and beauty, so they will • have
none of that Millenium Falcon or X-Wing business. =)

I've managed to gripe about TPM quite a bit in this thread, but there is
something that I think they did so well that it was clearly a masterpiece of
the craft.  I am talking about the costuming.  I liked the Naboo fighters and
stuff, as a counterpoint to the "normal" style for the universe, but what I
though was really boss, were their costumes.  I got a real feeling of royalty
from the princess and handmaidens, to the guards and pilots.

Chris