 Off-Topic / Debate / 6923
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:36:48 GMT

From: "Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net>

No, what I resent are efforts to change *my* world to make it safe for

Ahh.  Well, that's entirely reasonable.  When you have a world, I assure you
that I won't intrude with my safening attempts.  But while we're talking about
our world, I think it's fair game.

I meant *my* world as in the Adult world we all live in.  The USA makes a
person legally responsible for themselves at age 18. Before that time, their
parents are responsible for them.

*your* kids. Having kids is *your* choice, not mine. therefore, it becomes
*your responsibility to shelter them, not mine.

I think that I can extend this logic to a ludicrous example that you won't
buy,
but will prove that the logic is broken.  It sounds like you're saying that it
is my responsibility to protect my kids from, for instance, being molested.
Fine, I'll go with that.

OK, I'm with you up to here.

But it seems that further, you are saying that it is
not the molestor's responsibility to _not_ molest my kids.  I don't buy that.
And neither do you.

No I don't, because it doesn't follow my logic.

I have said that *your* kids are not *my* responsibility: i.e. you take
responsibility for the kids you brought into the world.

You take responsibility for your actions, right? I should not be responsible
for your actions, right? I am not responsible for you or your kids. Just as
you are not responsible if you are my neighbor and my dog gets out of my
yard and bites the person across the street.

My dog = My responsibility.

Your kids = Your responsibility.

Obviously kids are a much, much greater responsibility, but that's the
choice you make when you choose to have them.

Why is this so hard to communicate?

I resent efforts to alter
the things to which I have access in the interest of someone else's kids.

Like drunk driving?

I don't know where you live, but drunk driving is illegal in the United
States. Therefore, I don't have access to it.

The enjoyment of cruelty,

*Fake* cruelty toward a *fake* media construct.

I don't think that makes it healthy or good.

the desire for a psychologically unhealthy environment,

Are you a Psychologist?

What if I said yes?  What is a psychologist?  I'm not currently employed to
provide theraputic counseling.  I have eight years of college teaching me
about
how the mind works and how people learn.  The emphasis in my case is on how to
teach, but there is a huge overlap between the fields of education and
psychology.

So you feel qualified to make judgments about my mental health based on a
few paragraphs you read in an internet newsgroup?

You know nothing about my environment or how healthy
it is.

I know about the environment that you are advocating the projection of for
the general public.

I'm talking about keeping the world from being turned into Barney-land. This
is unhealthy?

As an adult, I have the privilege of viewing whatever media I wish. I am
quite capable of viewing violent or disturbing content, yet not carrying
that content over into my life.

Children may not be, therefore their parents should be responsible for
educating them.

I don't mind ratings systems or age limits on things that may be offensive
or of a mature nature. What I dislike are Irate Parent Groups that want to
ban something because they don't like it.

<snip>

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations