 Off-Topic / Debate / 6922
Re: My Official Viewpoint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 18:37:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
OK, I think it's time to restate and clarify a few things before this gets
totally out of hand.

I'm sometimes surprised, but I don't think this one has the potential to get
out of hand.

To Everyone else) If I said anything else that insulted anyone else, again,
I'm sorry. It was not my intention.

Shucks...me too.  I actually think I was mildly insulting to you Mark, and I do
actually apologize.  I could have made my points more mildly.

1) I dislike JarJar. On the Todd-o-meter I rate about a 9 in terms of • Star
Wars fanaticism. I have Star Wars posters on my wall. I have Jeremy
Bulloch's and Kenny Baker's autographs.

I might be an 8.5 or a 9.  We have about 100 SW figs (only eight from '77),
autograph of Anthony Daniels, a shirt, and no posters on walls.  But I did see
the first shows in our town of the three re-releases and stayed up in line all
night to get TPM tickets, and then saw it three times in it's first 24 hours of
play time.

And I think that Jar Jar sucked as a character.  But I thought that the story
sucked too.  And Anikin.  And mitichlorians.  And the death of Darth Maul.  And
the silly Trade Federation stooges.

But I don't hate him.  Not even close.  Jar-jar and friends even worked my ship
(well, actually they were a press gang) at the WAMALUG EastCoastBrickFest
Pirate Wars.  ;-)

I think JarJar is
obnoxious and I find humor directing unpleasantness toward JarJar extremely
fuuny. If that makes me twisted, so be it.

OK, so be it.

2) I am not evil. I got both my dogs from the animal shelter. I give money
to disabled kids' charities where they are taken to do special things they
otherwise wouldn't get to do. Maybe these are paltry examples. I'm not in
the Peace Corps. Deal.

Dealt.

3)I don't hate kids. I do, however, resent attempts by parents to censor
things that I have access to as an adult.

How do you feel about having to show your ID before buying beer?  Tobacco?
Pornography?  What exactly do you mean by censor?

Personally, I don't feel responsible for your
kids, and I don't think that people with kids should try to make me
responsible for them.

I want to minimize the impact that responsibility for my kids has on you.  But
if I have a responsibility to pay taxes, then you have a responsibility to keep
my kids safe and sound.

This is why I do not have children. My wife and I feel
that we're enjoying being adults at this time. Maybe we'll change later on,
who knows?

Hopefully not.  Most of those of us with kids are enjoying being adults too.
:-)

Anyway, I posted this because things can get muddled after they're quoted
and re-quoted and re-hashed over the course of a debate.

I just scanned back through your history on off-topic.debate looking for
something to quote out of context as a joke.  I couldn't find anything good.

Chris