 Off-Topic / Debate / 6916
Re: My Official Viewpoint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 08:51:07 GMT

From: "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>

No offense, but I think your logic is a little flawed.

Actually I was proceeding according to Todd's logic, which I happen to agree
with, so I guess you could call it mine as well.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6897

I'm unfamiliar with the "Todd-o-meter", but I am a pretty big SW fan myself
(Todd knows me well enough to rate me on his meter if he chooses to, I think).

Anyway, point is, I am a big SW fan and I don't think Jar Jar is obnoxious,
nor
do I find any humour in directing unpleasantness to him.  He's not my favorite
character, to be sure, but I got tired of seeing people complain about him and
direct hate at him after about the 5,000th time I saw it.

So, you don't like Jar Jar, and that's fine, but don't say that because you're
a "big Star Wars fan" that it naturally follows that you loathe Jar Jar and
find humour in directing unpleasantness at him, because it doesn't.

It follows according to Todd's earlier post, which seems to agree with my
experience. You might be an exception to the rule, but ALL of the fans I
know thought JarJar was an insult to all of us who grew up with Star Wars.
Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it bothers us, and we enjoy JarJar bashing.
Not because it's evil, not because it celebrates any kind of suffering, but
because it's a BIG OL' poke in the eye of Lucasfilm for putting the wretched
thing in what was otherwise a pretty cool movie.

Maybe we're all deranged.  Maybe Lucas will "mature" the character and he'll
become someone we love, like Chewie. We can only hope.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego