 Off-Topic / Debate / 6979
Re: My Official Viewpoint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:33:36 GMT

Actually one could argue that posting "this has violence and gore in it" may
make it MORE likely that that putative undersupervised underage reader will
view it. So maybe my asking for stuff to be disclaimed (which Todd thought
was a reasonable request) will actually make the problem, such as it is,
*worse*!!!

It may depend on what your opinion of the problem is.  :-)

If you put a disclaimer that says, "Some materials may be unsuitable for
some viewers," or "Viewer discretion is advised," or "Some materials may be
unsuitable for young audiences," that's a little more tame than saying,
"This has violence and gore in it" and might discourage more people (I guess
you'd have to do studies to know for sure).

Anyway, those types of disclaimers might well attract more viewings by
younger people, but I'll bet they decrease the amount of public arguing
over the material -- which is, in my opinion, the real problem.  If someone
ignores a disclaimer and clicks ahead and finds something offensive, it's
their own darn fault, and there hopefully wouldn't be any discussion of it
other than whether or not the disclaimer accurately described what was
contained within.

I totally support anyone who voluntarily places disclaimers in their stuff.

--Todd