 Off-Topic / Debate / 6926
Re: My Official Viewpoint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:34:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:

How do you feel about having to show your ID before buying beer?  Tobacco?
Pornography?  What exactly do you mean by censor?

I don't mind having to display ID to gain access to adult privileges.

What I meant by "censor" are the efforts of Irate Parent Groups who wish to
ban things like videogames or CDs etc. because they dislike them.

OK, I'm behind you on this stance.  I agree.  When I was a teen Tipper Gore was
famous for making waves trying to get the PMRTC (or whatever, I know that's not
right) in place to regulate music lyrics.  I'm opposed.  OTOH, volluntary
rating schemes are great.

I want to minimize the impact that responsibility for my kids has on you. • But
if I have a responsibility to pay taxes, then you have a responsibility to
keep
my kids safe and sound.

No, I have a responsibility to vote for what I believe in. That's all.

Just because you pay taxes doesn't mean I become responsible if your kid
runs out into traffic or starts to hang out with the wrong crowd.

The only responsibility I share with you is tax money that goes toward
public schools. I've always voted for more money toward schools. This is not
my argument.

Actually, the connection I meant to suggest is that most people tell me that I
"owe" taxes because there is some kind of implied social contract with the rest
of society.  (I don't buy it.  I pay taxes because the big guys with the big
guns will come and kill me if I don't.)  But if such an implied social contract
exists makeing the payment of tax my responsibility, then it seems completely
reasonable to assume that there is one that makes the maintenance of a safe
environment for kids part of your debt to society too.

This is why I do not have children. My wife and I feel
that we're enjoying being adults at this time. Maybe we'll change later on,
who knows?

Hopefully not.

Back to the mild insults?

Uh, no.  How do you mean?  You say 'we enjoy being adults, maybe this will
change' and I say 'hopefully it won't.'  I don't get the insult or whatever you
think I meant.  I didn't have any kind of implications in mind beyond what I
said.

Most of those of us with kids are enjoying being adults too.
:-)

This is really what I meant.  And it's true.  Believe me that I understand your
enjoyment of being free from the extra responsibilities that being a parent
brings...sometimes I wish...but the joys of being a parent rock too!

What I meant is that we're enjoying our adult freedom. Personally, I enjoy
going out anytime, anywhere, and staying out until I'm good and ready to
come home. If my wife and I want to go to a B&B for the weekend, we pick up
and go on a moment's notice. We don't have to live in Barney-land.

Right.  I do understand.  I used to live like that too.  :-)

Chris