 Off-Topic / Debate / 6943
Re: My Official Viewpoint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:23:43 GMT

No one has been made to discuss here,
and while I _think_ that Mark is annoyed, I'm not particularly sure why

I ain't Mark but I think I can put forth two reasons... both legitimate.

1. Uncritical examination of my original post (and let's face it, who has
time to read every word of my pontification and ponder the meaning in depth,
especially when it wasn't very well formed) could have made it seem that I
was being annoyingly PC and calling for supression. I wasn't, but I can see
where people think I might have been. Clearly Greco thought I was. Er, that
is, Felix thought I was.

2. Compounding this is *which* concrete example I chose in order to try to
springboard an interesting discussion (at least I think it's interesting and
not clear cut question) on initiation of violence in the context of satire,
and initiation of it against clearly not real characters. That example
happens to be from someone who is a newbie, someone who I suspect Mark had
just got done convincing to let his light out from under a bushel basket at
some great effort, and further, someone who I think has been genuinely hurt
and baffled by what must seem to him to be a large overreaction... as in, he
may well be thinking, "are we all nuts? LEGO is supposed to be fun!"

I think I've got some culpability here for that, and I apologise. I would be
extremely chagrined if Dan Jassim chose not to participate further because
Dan is very very talented, and I for one am glad he appeared out of nowhere
and grateful to Mark for being a catalyst in that appearance.

That concludes the "falling down on my sword" part of this post. Mark your
calendars, people, because I don't do it very often. But then, I don't make
misteaks very often either.

OK. That's out of the way... Now, I have to agree with Chris... Jude, you're
missing the point.

++Lar