 Star Wars / 9767
Re: Star Wars ruminations (was: Reality == fiction?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:48:15 GMT

I think that the movie was also degraded by the "super-powers" of Qui-Gon and
Obi-Wan.  Lucas would put his characters in a particularly tight spot, and • then
have then overcome the situation by an introduction of incredible abilities.

While the technology in Games is usually junk most of the Star Wars games
Story's fit perfectly into the cannon material.  So in Dark Forces II: Jedi
Knight (DF2JK) the main character has:

Ex:
Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are cornered in a corridor by Droidekas firing rapidly.
Solution: They run at warp speed down the hall-way in what I humbly consider • as
the worst bit of special effects in the whole series.

Force Speed

Ex:
Obi-Wan falls oh, say 80 feet or more and lands on his shouler without so much
as a dislocation, and then takes a super-leap back up to the top.  I've seen
less cheese in old Super-Friends cartoons.

Force Jump

Ex: Obi-Wan is hanging in the abyss...Darth Maul is toying with him (ah...the
time-honored and always fresh plot device of having villains toy with their
victims just long enough to be out-witted by said victims), and Obi-Wan
levitats, nails a somersault, and slices Maul in half, *and* does it at the
speed of syrup being poured.  I think that it would have been more reasonable
for him to just activate that lightsaber by the force and have it cut off • Darth
Maul's feet or something.

In the opening cutscene of DF2JK a jedi cuts a sith in half.  Much later in the
game that sith comes back.  His top half is floating on a hover pad.  I would
bet that Darth Maul will be back in Ep.2

-Lord Insanity

But, you say, even Yoda levitated an X-Wing.  Yes, but it was not effortless.
By all previous accounts (save that silly scene when Luke falls into the • carbon
chamber), Jedis were able to project mind-over-matter with skill and
concentration, not as a matter of course.  Yes, they could act relatively
quickly in the moment to manipulate matter, but that wasn't really the crux of
their powers.  Lucas over-used their abilities in TPM as a convenient plot
device; no subtelty.  Got yourself in a bit of a plot conondrum?  No problem.
Just stretch the abilities of your characters and barrel right on through.