 Off-Topic / Debate / 6864
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:06:31 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Everyone,

Dan Jassim asked if I would spread the word on this one. He's created a LEGO
comic strip and wants everyone to check it out.

Enjoy.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Call me a stick in the mud, and this may be an unpopular viewpoint.

I looked at this, and I looked at the earlier "Mark goes for donuts". I
laughed a lot, both times. (I laughed at the E! jarjar mockumentary too.)
LOTS of talent went into making these graphic comics, there is no denying that.

And to a certain extent, all humor centers around the discomfiture,
misfortune, or embarrassment of others or of ourselves.

I think this might be more of a comment on society than it looks at first glance.
Case in point: Roadrunner, Three Stooges, Bugs Bunny, etc. all work pretty much
the same way. A character gets beaten, squashed, blown up, etc. for our amusement.
And it IS amusing, perhaps because of the context. It's a cartoon. It's not
reality.

(insert debate over kids/adults' ability to distinguish fantasy/cartoon violence
from reality...)

Having said that, as I get older and I am exposed to more examples of real people
doing really bad things to other real people, I find myself haveing a much greater
sensitivity to how violence is perceived and how much of it there is in our lives.
I find that it's not always so funny any more. I think having kids also raises
your level of sensitivity. I find myself appalled at things on TV that I would
have blinked right through pre-parent.

On the other hand, who am I to say what sort of work other people should
create or not create? I dunno.

I may not like it but I'll go to the wall to defend your (and my) right to show
it. I know where the "off" switch is, I know how to change the channel, I know how
to not hit the "next" button.

That being said the strip was pretty funny. It falls a little short at the end
when the cavalry rides over the bush but hey, it was a good first effort and I for
one (1) look forward to more of the Captain's goofball adventures.

I think it shows us how people are (or should be) capable of differentiating
between real and fake. Thes guys weren't people. They were characters in a story
and as such the author can do whatever he pleases with them. So it's Dan Jassim we
should be stoning. Just kidding! (Actually I think Dan is just a character that
Mark created but I don't have proof...)

Does anybody mourn for the countless Stormtroopers, Imperial flunkies, jail
guards, (and janitors for that matter) that die in the first three SW movies?
Sure, we see the imperials kill some Blockade runner crew, some Jawas, Aunt Breu
and Uncle Owen, the entire population of Alderan, a few fighter pilots, and ONE
Ewok. They're EVIL! So Luke and his buddies take out not one but TWO Deathstars,
chock full of Imperial PEOPLE, blowed up real good. So who is the good guy?
They're all killers. But it's a STORY. Good vs. Evil. Evil loses, Good wins. The
End. They're not people, they're characters. And as such they symbolize the
conflict in black and white. (Or in the case of SW: black AND white vs. orange and
a sort of buff color tan.) We seek the black and white because we live in so many
shades of grey (yes, LEGO Brand Building Block fans, there are more than 2 shades
of grey...) It would be so easy to elect officials if one side was promoting Darth
Vader while the other supported (something good, I couln't think of an example
that would work for EVERYone) so it's nice to have 2-hour segments of our lives
spelled out in clear B/W every once in a while.

Just be a nice as you can.
SteveC