 Off-Topic / Debate / 6908
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 00:28:48 GMT

From: "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com>

Mark, please show us ONE place where any of us has asked for the comic to be
changed or removed. All Larry has said is that he is uncomfortable with his
children reading the comic, and will take action to prevent them from seeing
it. He also raised a point of discussion, perhaps to find out if others feel
as
he does. Now Larry does regularly remind people that Lugnet is a family place
and that certain language is not acceptable here, however, if you read
Lugnet's
TOS, you will see that all Larry is doing is calling for us to observe the
standards we agreed to when joining the Lugnet community.

OK, this is one of those instances where things get muddled over time and
multiple quotes. I never said Lar or anyone else called for the comic to be
changed or removed. I did use the "C" word in my post this morning, mainly
because I was very frustrated and, admittedly, bitter. I'm sorry if this has
insulted anyone.

My aforementioned quote was a response to Chris responding to me responding
to Lar, etc. etc.

My opinion about the matter stems from  current trends of parental groups
calling for banning videogames, music, movies, etc. because they want
society to protect their kids for them. I really didn't intend to direct my
own sentiment at anyone in particular. I'm sorry if it got muddled in all
the brouhaha.

For my own part, if Dan changed the comic because the discussion got him to
thinking about what he was expressing, and he realized that that expression
was
not something he wanted to express, then I salute him for changing the comic.
If, on the other hand, he changed the comic purely because he felt peer
pressure to change it, then I don't respect the change.

I'm frustrated by Dan's decision to change it too, but it's his call.

If you go back through the history of lugnet.off-topic.debate, I think that
you
will find that Larry, Chris, and I are 100% with you on whose responsibility
the children are

Perhaps so. Again, I didn't really intend to direct my sentiment at anyone
in particular.

(though I firmly believe that children are in the
whole communities interest, and that if they examine their interest carefully,
they will accept a certain responsibility for other's children).

This goes back to my point. I feel that I have been responsible enough to
use birth control  because I don't currently wish to take on the
responsibility of children. Thusly, I feel that I shouldn't have to take
care of others' children. I don't buy into the whole "Global Village" thing.

Hopefully I worded this clearly enough. :^)

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego