 Off-Topic / Debate / 7020
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:40:06 GMT

These are High School (Junior High) level questions, people. Let's show some
perception and get beyond them.

So, I guess what you mean is that anyone who disagrees with you, is retarded
intellectually to a state bellow normal twelve year olds.  Right?  Very nice.

Well, that's an even less tactful way of phrasing it than mine, but I'm
afraid you're reading the statement fairly accurately. I'll rephrase:

----------------------------
A person who is unable to comprehend irony, and requires instances of satire
to be labeled to facilitate their own understanding, lacks the degree of
interpretive sophistication that I would expect from a High School student.
----------------------------

Those of you who feel that this statement describes you will certainly feel
ill will towards me, and I regret this. But I stand by the suggestion that
it is reasonable to expect a degree of interpretive ability from adults.
Such a remark is not directed at specific individuals, and I don't recall
any statements made in this thread that would make me suggest that my remark
applies to the authors of such suggestions. It's been said before that
posters to Lugnet seem to be an intelligent lot, on the whole.

But there are a lot of unintelligent, imperceptive people in America and the
world, and I think that to expose stupidity is more constructive than to
gloss over it.

I didn't set out to hurl insults, but Chris has pointed out that my offhand
remark, quoted at the top of the page, can be interpreted no other way.

Sorry for the ascerbic tone.
It's just that this is a killed conversation.

I'm not even sure that this means.  If it means you're flogging a dead horse,
then I guess I agree, but am at a complete loss as to why.

That's exactly what I meant. And I felt that others were doing the same. As
I reached the end of my post, I recognized that it was becoming less and
less constructive. So I guess I wanted to absolve myself of the length and
tone of my post. As I've said, though, I don't feel inclined to retract the
content. I suppose I can't have it both ways...

Josh