 Off-Topic / Debate / 6876
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 03:13:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> • You wrote:
Jar Jar is a sentient being (of a fantasy world) and I suspect he has • rights
and doesn't like being beat up because he talks funny or looks funny. He
didn't CHOOSE to look goofy, did he?

IMO, this sounds an awful lot like a PC sentiment. "JarJar is a minority, so
let's all be ultra-nice to him"

Are you saying that it being "PC" to suggest that it's wrong for people to beat
up on minorities just because they're minorities? There's a wide difference
between the extreme "PC" view that one should always heap everyone with praise
and never suggest that someone might be less that the greatest that ever lived,
and a totally hatefull view that group X should be ground up for pig food or
whatever.

The biggest problem I have with the "PC" movement is that it has gotten so
extreme that it is allowing people to claim that any suggestion that they
should respect others as being "PC".

Frank
(who is trying to avoid forfeiting the argument... :-)