 Off-Topic / Debate / 6929
Re: Reality == fiction?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:14:39 GMT

Todd kind of backpedaled from his statement that he hates JarJar.

Huh?

I don't think he should have! I hate JarJar too.

Maybe this makes my opinion of JJB more clear:  I would not hate JJB at all
if he were in some cheezeball B-movie sci-fi flick.  If he were, I could
ignore him -- and I wouldn't have to hate him.  It's the fact that he
appeared in a _Star Wars_ movie -- and nearly ruined it for me -- that
bothers me.

I do hate JJB, but like anything else I hate, hating it simply means I want
as little as possible of it in my life.  It doesn't mean I don't want other
people to enjoy it, and I still respect them if they do.  Similarly, I hate
seafood.  It smells bad.  Even in good seafood restaurants in a port city
like Boston or San Francisco, it smells like rotting dead animals to me.
I want as little as possible of it in my life.  I hate buggy closed-source
software.  It makes my life miserable.  I want as little as possible of it
in my life.

There are plenty of delicious and nutritious alternatives to seafood that are
still food.  So I can ignore seafood.  There are plenty of alternatives to
buggy closed-source software that are still software.  So I can ignore (most)
buggy closed-source software.  But there's no alternative to JJB that is still
a Star Wars movie (except the original trilogy, of course).  So I don't have
the option to ignore JJB if I want to watch all the Star Wars films or buy all
the LEGO sets.  At least with the LEGO sets, the JJB character doesn't talk,
and I don't have to build things with the JJB elements if I don't want to.

Now, I don't hate JJB enough to go out and try to influence George Lucas not
to put JJB in the next two movies (not that that could sway him anyway), but
I do hate JJB enough that I would, if one were available, take a publicly
downloadable "patch file" and apply it to a personal digital copy of SW:TPM
to remove JJB's annoying voice and as much as possible of the rest of him
from SW:TPM.

If you like buggy closed-source software, fine.  More power to you.  If you
like seafood, fine.  More power to you.  If you like JJB, fine.  More power
to you.  But I hate all of the above and I want as little as possible of
these in my life.  That's what I mean when I say that I hate Jar-Jar Binks.

So when someone makes a comic strip that features JJB getting tortured or
maimed or whatever (assuming it's "cartoon" violence and not so real), then,
in a fantasy sort of way, it's a pleasant thing, because it's pretending for
the moment that there is less JJB in the world.  :-)

--Todd