 Off-Topic / Debate / 6912
Re: Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 04:17:18 GMT

From: "John Radtke" <jaradtke@mindspring.com>

I'm curious about this 'not my kids, not my responsibility' attitude a
couple people have expressed.  Is this a stance only taken when it comes to
children?  If I follow this reasoning I could say that there are no adults I
am specifically responsible for either and act accordingly.  At what age do
children around us suddenly earn respect as fellow individuals and members
of the community?

I think respect is gained on an individual basis, though legally people are
considered responsible for themselves at 18.

It's not usually even conscious decisions that make us act differently with
different people.  People generally treat different friends, family,
coworkers, whoever slightly differently because we are aware of their
individual sensitivities and tastes.  It's just part 'getting along with
others' that we all learned as kids.

Sure. I can agree with that.

People also generally extend the courtesy to children whether or not they
have any of their own.  I know I might want to curse out loud in the LEGO
isle when the set I want isn't there, but I certainly won't if a kid is
standing right there.  Is this discussion only happening because we're
dealing with internet posting where there is no one 'standing next to us'?

Hmm... I think I'd have to say this is occurring because I sort of drug the
responsibility angle into it.

Please bear in mind that I am not attempting to accuse here, only asking for
clarification on this 'not my kids, not my responsibility' idea.  For the
record, I enjoyed the strip and was personally not bothered by the Jar Jar
bashing.  I can appreciate a level of antipathy towards the character that I
don't happen to share.  I am also not afraid of confusing the strip with
behaviour towards anyone or anything in the real world.  However, not having
children I defer to the stance of those who do to say how inappropriate it
may be for kids.

I am sorry to see that the content of the strip was changed.  Considering
the opinions expressed I think a disclaimer would have been adequate.  Such
are hardly unheard of on LEGO sites.  The subject of age is a recurring
theme on LUGNET and it always seems that there are plenty of minors reading
the discussions and following the links.

I agree that a disclaimer would have been adequate, though that may not have
prevented any kid from reading it. All a disclaimer would have served to do
is give Dan a little breathing room, should a kid view it, and should that
kid's parent become upset by it.

I also find it curious that with all the talk of kids and violence no one
has mentioned the blood-spattering laser blast picture.

Yep. I was wondering when that would get mentioned. Funny, eh? I wonder why
JarJar gets special consideration? Maybe it's just because of the multitude
of JarJar-bashing incidences of late.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations