 Star Wars / 9766
Re: next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:26:52 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mike Petrucelli writes:
<snip>

You've nailed Anderson to a T.  I can't stand his books, and most of the
hard-core SW books fans have never forgiven him for the "editing" job he did
on Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.  One of the stories in there (which I
think was written by him) relates the Greedo/Han scene from Greedo's
perspective, but it put the lines from the movie out of order, and got the
Rodian wrong.  The script and novelization of the movie saus Oota Goota
Solo? (Going somewhere Solo?) but he managed to have it as Oonna Goona Solo
in the book.  If you're going to edit, at least get the facts straight!

You are going to bash Anderson over something obscure like that and let Zahn
get away with murder? (proverbially speaking)

Anderson drives me up the wall, that's just the proverbial straw that broke
the camel's back.  Beside's it's not particularly obscure, and not the only
mistake he made in laying that scene out.

I swear Zahn thought he was writing a Trek novel.  Let's see:

He gives Luke's X-wing a pathetically inferior sub-space tranceiver instead of
a hyperwave tranceiver.

OK, I'm a SW freak and I didn't even consider that!  That's a little too in
depth for my taste.

He describes Turbolasers as beams instead of bolts. (Come on did he even watch
the films.  Most of the alt.startrek.vs.starwars group think Zahn watched all
the Trek movies for research.)

I've never picked up on this description in the multiple times I've read the
books.  I'm sure it's there, it's just never been a glaring enough
description to bother me.

Half the characters have shimery hair. (Ah the master of prose)

I'll grant you this one, it does get a bit redundant.

Don't get me wrong I like Zahn's storys but I also like Anderson's.  They both
do stupid things but what can you expect from anyone other than Lucas himself.
Of coure Courscant was Zahn's idea and that was cool enough for George to use.

Anderson's books feel like the conclusion is a bit rushed and made up o nthe
spot instead of planned out as he was writing the books.  I do like the Jedi
Academy trilogy as it sets up the kids and the Jedi Academy but it pales in
comparison to Zahn IMHO.  Of Coruse I say that Stackpole it the best SW
author and his X-Wing series (He and Allison?) are the best books out there
to really get a SW-feel while reading them.

-Lord Insanity