 Star Wars / 9626
Re: next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:24:16 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:

In other words, you're right; Lucas ignored it... hehehe, I just don't think
of it that way.

Ah, I see what you mean. :D

Some of the stuff in the newer books seems outlandish to me, which is why I
stopped reading them.

I can't remember which book it was in, but when I got to the one with the Sun
Crusher, I pretty much stopped.  In the middle of the book.  That was the last
one I read.

I think that the Thrawn trilogy and the Jedi Academy
trilogy were both pretty good, but some of the other stuff is junk.

I read the Hier to the Empire trilogy, and I enjoyed it immensely.  I never
read the Jedi Academy books.

Of
course, like any good Star Wars fan I've "written" my own story, but it's
set well after the deaths of all of the main characters from the films and
their kids from the books... <G>

Yeah.  I've run the Star Wars Role-playing Game at various points, and I've
never used one of the main characters, or even anything near them.  The Star
Wars universe is *huge*, and so full of cool stuff, I've never understood why
writers feel like they have to make their book focus on Luke, Leia, Han, etc.
Why not write about other folks in the rebellion?  Why not write about
smugglers trying to avoid the Imperial troops?  Gah.

Only Lucas has the power to make something canon... I only hope that someone
as creative and, well, good can take the reigns when Lucas dies... which I
honestly hope never happens.

The last thing I heard is that Lucas himself won't make a third trilogy, but
would "leave it to someone else".  I imagine that someone else would end up
being Rick McCallum, who has essentially been alongside Lucas for most of the
Star Wars movies...  so I would trust him to do good things.  Especially
because I don't think Lucas would ever really not be hanging around giving the
nod to stuff, at the very least.

eric