 Star Wars / 9603
Re: next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:53:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Zwicker writes:

Rumour has it that the 3rd trilogy would have taken place about 25 years
after the battle of Endor. The New Republic would be facing a dark new
threat and the story would have been centered around Jacen, Jaina and Anakin
(The Organa-Solo kids). If this sounds familiar, it is because it is the
story arc around The New Jedi Order series of Novels. Do you think Lucas
would have permitted Del Rey Books to publish (and presumebly expand) the
3rd trilogy since he decided not to make movies?

Funny you should mention that, I had actually typed out a bit about the
legendary third trilogy and deleted it as being less than on topic (along with
a few other things).

I do know that the third trilogy was about the rise of the New Republic and the
new Jedi order, which would have made the three trilogies tied together by a
less personal, more historical thread of the fall and restoration of the Jedi
(first trilogy being about the rule and fall of the Old Republic, as supported
by the Jedi; second trilogy about the rule and fall of the Empire, as supported
by the Sith; and the last one about the building of a New Republic, as
supported again by the Jedi).

The assumption that it would have been about the children of characters in
Episodes IV-VI is natural, I guess, but I also know that Jacen, Jaina and
Anakin were conceived and named by the authors of the books in which they
appear (having read interviews with those authors).  If Lucas had any specific
plans for what those children of Leia and Luke might have been like... well,
they're lost into the mists of time.  Unless, of course, Lucas does decide to
make the third trilogy and completely ignore the books... it wouldn't be the
first time (see "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" for more details).

I do think, though, that if Lucas were seriously considering making the third
trilogy, he would not be allowing the books to come out.  I do know that he
quashed certain ideas that Marvel wanted to include in their "Star Wars" title
that later appeared in Star Wars movies, including a second Death Star.

eric