 Star Wars / 9604
9603  |  9605
Subject:
the future of the star wars line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:06:52 GMT

this is speculation on my part but concerns things I like to think about
while waiting for new sets to come out. I do not consider myself a builder,
but mainly a set collector and so I like to think about what sets Lego is
most likely to come out with and the form they are most likely to take. The
Star wars line is for me the most exciting Lego line since pirates and so
far they have IMHO done an astonishingly good job with scale, detail and
accuracy, and innovative use of old and new parts.

The one clear misstep is with the ATST. While Lego is constrained by the
desire to fill a range of price points with every seasonal release, they
certainly could have built an excellent model that was 50% larger, two studs
wider and still only around 200 pieces and relatively inexpensive.

But looking forward I see the episode I sets running out of possibilities.
Only two are being released this winter. The only sure thing for future
releases is a set featuring Queen Amidala, perhaps a Naboo Palace playset.
That is certain because of her presence in the logo. The only other sets I
can imagine are a royal cruiser, some small set with a minifigure scale
destroyer droid, a gian speeder and a coruscant taxi. What other vehicles
are there or what playsets could they release that wouldn't duplicate mini
figures or sets already out. I think there will be only one more release of
episode I sets, either in May 2001 or next Christmas, and then its on to
episode II.

The original trilogy has lots more in it of course. Not only in vehicles but
with endor, death star, bespin, or tattooine playsets. Likewise, there's
lots of possibiolities with UCS sets since they can be incredibly expensive
and not limited to minifigure scale.

The difficult part is imagining small price point sets or further technic
sets that can be squeezed out of the line. The dismal appearance of the
ATST, C3PO and stormtrooper show how far they've pushed it already.

For UCS sets candidates are:
star destroyer
sandcrawler
speeder bike
ATAT
ATST( to make up for the current poor set)
R2D2
medical frigate or blockade runner

For system sets my guesses are:
a 2 minifigure taun taun set, perhaps with probe droid
cloud car
dagobah playset
a Jabba the Hutt set, either in his palace or a sail barge, however shrunk
a sandcrawler, perhaps the size of the MTT
numerous possible endor and death star sets

Technic:
your guess is as good as mine, I never would have dreamed up the current
travesties

The range of possibilities suggests that there will be original trilogy
releases after episode I runs out and through the release of episode II.

I look for a May 2001 release of one or two big sets just like the release
pattern this year. And perhaps we will see picture of them at Christmas.