 Star Wars / 9611
Re: the future of the star wars line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:58:47 GMT

jonathan lill wrote:

The one clear misstep is with the ATST. While Lego is constrained by the
desire to fill a range of price points with every seasonal release, they
certainly could have built an excellent model that was 50% larger, two studs
wider and still only around 200 pieces and relatively inexpensive.

200 pieces is at least twice the price, given the price per piece.
Yes, from our perspective it might be a mistake.
I'm sure loads of kids will like it, though.

But looking forward I see the episode I sets running out of possibilities.
Only two are being released this winter. The only sure thing for future
releases is a set featuring Queen Amidala, perhaps a Naboo Palace playset.
That is certain because of her presence in the logo. The only other sets I
can imagine are a royal cruiser, some small set with a minifigure scale
destroyer droid, a gian speeder and a coruscant taxi. What other vehicles
are there or what playsets could they release that wouldn't duplicate mini
figures or sets already out. I think there will be only one more release of
episode I sets, either in May 2001 or next Christmas, and then its on to
episode II.

Actually, given the release pattern so far, wouldn't the most logical big
set for 2001 be the Naboo Cruiser? As for smaller sets, sure I want minifig
droidekas, and I bet their recognition factor is high enough for Lego to
include them in a fairly cheap set. If they throw in Obi-Wan (& our favorite
Qui-Gon) in that set, they have a set recreating a scene from the movie, at
a low price point, including Obi-Wan. Not bad.

The gian speeder might come around, the coruscant taxi I've got doubts about
- not very interesting to kids. But there are still loads of pod racers
left...

The original trilogy has lots more in it of course. Not only in vehicles but
with endor, death star, bespin, or tattooine playsets. Likewise, there's
lots of possibiolities with UCS sets since they can be incredibly expensive
and not limited to minifigure scale.

They're not limited to minifig scale, but why is everyone so certain that
that means they're not limited to ANY scale? The current scale, 1:28, offers
two distinct advantages: they can use current pieces, since the large scale
allows them to do work-arounds instead of creating specific pieces/molds
(imagine, for example, an UCS AAT compared to the minifig version - no need
for specific bricks for the front); and the ships will feature loads of
detail, I'm not so sure an UCS death star could feature that amount of
detail at a reasonable price.

The difficult part is imagining small price point sets or further technic
sets that can be squeezed out of the line. The dismal appearance of the
ATST, C3PO and stormtrooper show how far they've pushed it already.

Apparently, not everyone here agrees with you on the Technic sets. As for
the AT-ST, I'm certain kids won't mind as much as we do.

For UCS sets candidates are:
star destroyer
sandcrawler
speeder bike
ATAT
ATST( to make up for the current poor set)
R2D2
medical frigate or blockade runner

I'm surprised that most people ignore the Ep1 sets. Again, the Naboo Fighter
and the AAT are both very accomplishable when compared to the current sets,
given piece count, price and scale.

Technic:
your guess is as good as mine, I never would have dreamed up the current
travesties

There are still loads of droids available in the movies that could be done.
Agreed, they might not be huge successes with the masses, but they are
there. 8D8, EV-9D9, Gonk, 21-B, FX-7, Imperial probe droid to name a few.
Oh, and obviously Ep1 C3P0 and R2-D2.

The range of possibilities suggests that there will be original trilogy
releases after episode I runs out and through the release of episode II.

One of the reasons my bets for large sets in 2001 is on Ep1 ships is the
fact that TLG, if they are wise, will want to stretch the original trilogy
sets for the remainder of their license. There will be dips in available
models from all three new movies, and during those times, TLG would want to
keep interest up.

A reason for the first UCS sets being from the original trilogy is their
high recognition factor. If those sets bomb, no more UCS (my guess). So lets
hope they do well...

T.
--> thomas weigle  |  w.i.m.p.
    web: http://www.ya-ba.net/