 Star Wars / 9617
Re: the future of the star wars line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:01:32 GMT

jonathan lill wrote:

Twice the price will still only be $20 or so. And kids may like it but it
has disappointed a large portion of their audience.

Twice the price, or $20, can be too much when we're looking at
gifts-to-get-the-kids-away-from-the-toy-section consumer goods...

Besides, a correction. It has disappointed a SMALL portion of their
audience. While important to TLG for several reasons (ideas, feedback, heavy
users etc), the people here (and others who may have seen the 2001 catalog)
are a minority.

The  royal cruiser is a good bet for the next major set since it would have
to include the Queen( and isn't her outfit in the "his name is Artoo" scene
the same one pictured in the logo?) but could also include captain
Tanaka(sp?) and Ric Olie(sp?)

Yes, and that too would follow the strategy of including highly attractive
minifigs only with the more expensive sets... Other bets for such a ship
would obviously be Qui-Gon, Anakin, Obi-Wan, R2-D2 and Jar-Jar (god, don't
let that happen...). The more of these characters already in production, the
cheaper it will be for TLG. But, obviously most of us would prefer Ric Olie
to Jar-Jar.

You're right I did forget about possible epi I UCS sets but I'm not sure how
likely it is compared to epi 4-6 models. The smoother rounded surfaces of
the naboo crafts would be problematic. The AAT is a good possibility. I am
expecting a lower priced UCS like the speederbike or STAP fighter to come
out first.

Lower priced UCS models hadn't even occured to me, but obviously, there
should be some market for them too. Still, it would be interesting to see
more about sales etc for those models.

I'm actually happy that we haven't seen more UCS models so far. The more
time TLG spends on these beautiful sets, the better off we are (because
while I can understand the business logic of creating a less-than-optimal
AT-ST, the target users for the UCS sets would obviously be people who
appreciate detail).

T.
--> thomas weigle  |  w.i.m.p.
    web: http://www.ya-ba.net/