 Star Wars / 9615
Re: next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:46:53 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:

Interesting.  I read _Splinter_ in something like the 4th or 5th grade for the
first time, and I hadn't ever heard any of the above.  I like the novel a lot,
for what it is... and if memory serves, there are things that are directly
contradicted in movies after than book.  Which, to me, says Lucas ignored it,
and rightly so.  I'm not sugesting it's a defect of Lucas' that these books
get ignored or changed; rather, I see it as a defect of the readers that they
take everything in these books (which I've mostly stopped reading) to be any
sort of canon.

eric

Right, the storyline of _Splinter of the Minds Eye_ is actually quite good.
I suppose Lucas did ignore it in a matter of speaking.  What I meant by he
didn't exactly "ignore" it is that in my mind there was never anything for
him to ignore... The moment that Star Wars became a hit all plans for
_Splinter of the Minds Eye_ to be part of the SW universe were scrapped.
Had the book not already been released it never would have come into the
public's attention.  So IMO to say that Lucas "ignored" it gives it some
merrit as something that was ever even considered by Lucas, when in fact the
entire trilogy had already been planned out by Lucas (it went through some
changes, but the "meat" of the story stayed pretty much the same.)  Since
Lucas' story was written prior to the writing of _Splinter of the Minds
Eye_, it carried no merrit in Lucas' story.

In other words, you're right; Lucas ignored it... hehehe, I just don't think
of it that way.

Some of the stuff in the newer books seems outlandish to me, which is why I
stopped reading them.  I think that the Thrawn trilogy and the Jedi Academy
trilogy were both pretty good, but some of the other stuff is junk.  Of
course, like any good Star Wars fan I've "written" my own story, but it's
set well after the deaths of all of the main characters from the films and
their kids from the books... <G>  It's pretty much junk too, but I enjoy it
none the less.  I enjoy writing about new vehicles and characters and then
making them out of Legos...

Only Lucas has the power to make something canon... I only hope that someone
as creative and, well, good can take the reigns when Lucas dies... which I
honestly hope never happens.

-Bryan