 Star Wars / 9703
Re: next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:38:26 GMT

On galactic empires generally, E.E. "Doc" Smith is often mentioned as the guy
who took sf out of the solar system.

Try to imagine a more provincial time, before anyone had yet launched a rocket,
when an IBM typewriter was cutting edge technology, when a few dozen young
adults made little money out of stories placed on Venus or Mars, imitating Edgar
Rice Burroughs whom they probably read in magazines in their teens.

Then this chemist-by-profession Smith decides the solar system isn't big enough
anymore... suddenly everybody is carving out their own galactic empire, hoping
to get as much money as Smith is promised for every story...

Young Isaac is hooked on this. One day, he realizes the offices of Astounding
Science Fiction are, theoretically, only a subway token away, and history is
made.

George Lucas is born in the generation after, during the War.