 Off-Topic / Debate / 6949
Re: Can Harry Browne do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:37:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
Late last night on C-Span they re-ran a Harry Browne rally from November 1.
I thought he did a good job of introducing the LP philosophy and I think a
lot of people would hear his message loud and clear if he could get any
decent normal TV spots or a position in a national debate.

I haven't actually seen him speak, but he will be the third LP presidential
candidate that I will have voted for.  I think it all comes down to money, and
the LP isn't willing to get enough of it to actually take hold.  I am a "belly
up to the trough" libertarian, but I hold the minority opinion within the LP.
I think the LP should take every cent they can get from the gubmint in order to
promote their campaign, but they feel that it would be a compromise of their
principles.  So they'll continue to spin their wheels.

And don't get me started on the national debate issue.  I've felt cheated since
84 when I first was actually aware of the political process.

I think I finally
am understanding the LP message, and I find that I like it very much.

What beats personal and group responsibility with as much liberty as you can
swallow?  Almost everyone I talk to will admit that they agree largely with
Libertarian ideals, but that they think they're radical zealots and so they'll
go ahead and vote for their Republicratic candidate.

My question is:  Can Harry Browne get one million votes that he wants this
year?  And will that be enough to propel the LP forward to progressively
better positions in 2004 or 2008?

No, the votes won't be enough.  It still takes huge gobs of money that you can
only get by being taken generally seriously and representing special interests.

In any case, I've decided that I'm not comfortable wasting my vote on Bush
or Gore -- and that a vote for Browne, although on the surface seeming wasted,
is actually an investment -- if the LP can keep the momentum building.

Welcome aboard :-)  If I had someone else that I agreed with, I'd consider
voting for them, but whether or not my vote is "wasted" Browne is the only one
who believes most of what I believe about the role of government.

Chris