 Off-Topic / Debate / 6950
Re: Can Harry Browne do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:49:18 GMT

What beats personal and group responsibility with as much liberty as you can
swallow?  Almost everyone I talk to will admit that they agree largely with
Libertarian ideals, but that they think they're radical zealots and so they'll
go ahead and vote for their Republicratic candidate.

I've gotta look this up to be sure, because I couldn't believe my ears, but I
thought that Browne said there was no federal income tax before something like
1913.  If I heard that correctly and it's true, it means that there are people
alive today whose parents didn't ever have to pay any federal income tax.  I
probably already learned this in high school but federal income taxes are such
a huge part of life that it's sometimes tough to imagine life without them.

It's sad how much national government has grown in the past century.  I don't
think it's radical or zealotry to want to go back to simple things that
actually worked.  I hope the LP can get this point across to more people each
year.

BTW, is the LP against bloated state government (I would imagine so) or
mainly against bloated national government?

No, the votes won't be enough.  It still takes huge gobs of money that you
can only get by being taken generally seriously and representing special
interests.

What about the non-presidential seats up for grabs?  I imagine those must cost
a lot of money as well.  How many of the ~1400 LP candidates currently running
in this coming election are expected to win?

--Todd