 Off-Topic / Debate / 6956
Re: Can Harry Browne do it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 00:20:47 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:G3Ksu6.76n@lugnet.com...
What beats personal and group responsibility with as much liberty as you • can
swallow?  Almost everyone I talk to will admit that they agree largely • with
Libertarian ideals, but that they think they're radical zealots and so • they'll
go ahead and vote for their Republicratic candidate.

I've gotta look this up to be sure, because I couldn't believe my ears, • but I
thought that Browne said there was no federal income tax before something • like
1913.  If I heard that correctly and it's true, it means that there are • people
alive today whose parents didn't ever have to pay any federal income tax. • I
probably already learned this in high school but federal income taxes are • such
a huge part of life that it's sometimes tough to imagine life without
them.

I believe it was implimented temporarily for the Civil War by Lincoln - and
intended to be temporary.  That's what I remember learning, though I may be
wrong.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne