 Off-Topic / Debate / 6988
Re: Can any third party candidate do it? (was Re: Can Harry Browne do it?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 06:20:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

Of course, he won't get even one Electoral College vote this time around.

A trivia point: The first woman to get an Electoral College vote... was no
Geraldine Ferraro! It was a Libertarian, several elections earlier. Of
course, after that electoral college voter voted his conscience, the laws of
his state were tightened (and rightly so, actually) to more closely bind
votes to the popular outcome. (although winner take all isn't such a great
system, I'd rather see a direct popular election)

The history of why we have an Electoral College is fascinating. As with so
many things in our constitution, it was a compromise to ensure small state
support for ratification.

++Lar