 Off-Topic / Debate / 7034
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:23:11 GMT

I'm not fully prepared to defend this stance, since I'm not sure what he means
either.  However, it might be a reference to the body of evidence that • suggests
that _everywhere_ that guns become more accesible and free, the armed and
violent crime rates drop.

I'd love to see this body of evidence.

I would say that of the 2 countries which are freer with weapons (Swiss and
Israel), that it is _training_ that makes the difference.

It's not the body of people with guns, it is the fact that _every_ male has
served in the armed forces in some respect.  Therefore, they have disipline,
rather than the carlessness which seems to prevail amongst people who own guns
here (I'm talking about Canada, but by the same token can likely be appiled to
the US).

(It's a interesting topic.  I'm not one for the current CDN policy of
registering guns, because I don't think that it makes any difference at
all...but, I don't agree with the US style of no(practical) gun control at all
either.  I think that weapons which are designed to hunt people with (handguns,
assault rifles, fully auto weapons) are not something that you need to own
_under most circumstances_.  They are tools of the military and police, not the
public.)

James Powell (qualified on C7(M16A2) Assault Rifle)