 Off-Topic / Debate / 7033
Re: It's All Over...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:15:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Kujawa writes:
Whoever wins Florida however, wins
the Electoral vote and is thus the President no matter what the popular vote.

True. I don't dispute this. However a 1/30th of 1% lead is tenuous at best.

Those are the rules, period.  This should force some much needed changes in our
election process for the future.

Perhaps, but that would take an amendment to the Constitution as a best-case
scenario. Worst case being a re-write of the COnstitution which I don't believe
is possible (by law). Amendments are very few and far between in our history.
Besides that, the electoral college is VITAL to U.S. politics. Without it, any
state smaller than Ohio becomes irrelevant in the sceme of all things voting.
This effectively means that California, Texas, Florida, New York, and Ohio would
ALWAYS determine the winner of an election. Nice way to be represented, eh?
(Yes, I've been watching too much Dan Rather and Peter Jennings this morning).

It will certainly be some historically
interesting days ahead.  Maybe the country will be changed for the better.

If I were an optimist, I'd agree. Too bad I feel we lose either way. A moron or
a robot....what a choice. (Yes, I did vote because I felt I needed too.)

If your gunna run away because you don't like the way it is here... Well,
C'ya...Aye?

EYE, I, Captain!

-Dave