 Off-Topic / Debate / 7068
Re: It's All Over...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:44:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Low writes:
<snip>
I was quite shocked by some of the liberal commentary on this. The two-party
(equals one-party) system is pretty entrenched in Australia too, but no-one
goes around saying that a vote for a third party is some sort of "betrayal".
If Gore failed to reach out to a constituency as large as Clinton's, then
really it's his fault. If the Democrats couldn't find a way to humanise him
(or anyone better to run for President) then it's their fault too.

Very true.  Gore *should* have destroied Bush.  He made several missteps along
the way and I personally think he should have enlisted the help of Clinton
more.  Just about everyone I know, while they dislike Clinton the man, think he
has done a good job as President and I for one would have voted for him over
either of these 2 bozo's.

What I can't believe is that no-one really pointed out what seems obvious an
ocean away about Bush: that he's a smirking, lazy jerk, a good-times
glad-hander who can hardly put a sentence together because he's always had
someone to do it for him. I never understood the charm of Reagan myself, but
at least it was vaguely plausible. But Dubya??

I know seems bizarre to me too.  It might be interesting for those of you
outside the US to look at this map.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/2000vote/general/president.html

This shows the states won by Gore and those by Bush.  I think this is very
telling of the distribution of demographics in the U.S.  Basically most of the
Larger, population wise, states with big cities tend to go with the Dem's while
the more rural and sparcely populated states tend to go for the Republicans.
Some of this I think is attributed to more conservative religious views as well
as Gun control.  Those in big cities tend to favor Gun control more over more
Rural folk.  Plus those in big cities tend to favor controls on smoking in
public places and taxes on cigarettes where the rural farmers don't for several
reasons.

Eric Kingsley