 Off-Topic / Debate / 7040
Re: It's All Over...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:53:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Kujawa writes:
Not sure the smaller states would become
irrelevant, they would still get added to the total popular vote.

Yes, but as a candidate running for office, would you spend your war chest in
Los Angeles or Des Moines? Chicago or Olympia? My point is that you'd spend your
money where there is a greater concentration of people so as to reach a larger
audience. This is why New York has more appeal for ravers than Reno-more people.

Or the
Electoral college could change to an apportioned system like a couple states
have.

Possibly. I can't dispute this. I'm just certain that the electoral college
wouldn't be abolished.

True it would take an ammendment to the Constitution but it is prolly
overdue.  The Electoral college is an old obsolete vestige of the original
government when only landowners and taxpayers could vote (No women, blacks,
renters, jobless, etc)

It is also a residual item from the days when distance and time were factors.
These days, distance and time-related problems have been replaced by a growing
sense of apathy.

Our system is much more inclusive now.

Yep. Due to technology and national growth. As we are seeing, there is a down
side to everything, but most of the time the system works well.

Or should it be Hoser? :) (just saying hope you CAN find something better, or
will you stay and try and make it better?)

I won't leave. I can't think of any part of Canada that has a climate as nice as
Los Angeles. Besides, I've never cared for French, eh? ;-)

Rick

-Dave