 Off-Topic / Debate / 7067
Re: It's All Over...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Miller writes:
Jeremiah VanderMark <doggybot_37@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote:
everything. Who'd have thought that a vote for Nader really *was* a vote for
Bush...

No it's not. Although there is some difference between Gore and Bush,
they're both corporatists, they both want to increase military spending,
they both support the death penalty, etc., etc., etc.

A vote for Nader is *not* chosing the lesser of two evils.

I was quite shocked by some of the liberal commentary on this. The two-party
(equals one-party) system is pretty entrenched in Australia too, but no-one
goes around saying that a vote for a third party is some sort of "betrayal".
If Gore failed to reach out to a constituency as large as Clinton's, then
really it's his fault. If the Democrats couldn't find a way to humanise him
(or anyone better to run for President) then it's their fault too.

What I can't believe is that no-one really pointed out what seems obvious an
ocean away about Bush: that he's a smirking, lazy jerk, a good-times
glad-hander who can hardly put a sentence together because he's always had
someone to do it for him. I never understood the charm of Reagan myself, but
at least it was vaguely plausible. But Dubya??

--DaveL