 Off-Topic / Debate / 7050
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:29:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell writes:

However, it might be a reference to the body of evidence that • suggests
that _everywhere_ that guns become more accesible and free, the armed and
violent crime rates drop.

I'd love to see this body of evidence.

I need to revise my statement above.  The everywhere that I meant is limited
mostly to the US.  So maybe not quite everywhere, but it's good enough data
from my POV.  :-)

If you're serious, start with _The Great American Gun Debate_ by Don B. Kates,
Jr. and Gary Kleck.  It is the best treatment that doesn't constantly refer
back to the US Constitution, which may be of limited value given the
international nature of this discussion.  You can probably get it from your
library, ask for ISBN 0-936488-39-5, or but it from Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0936488395/qid=973704498/sr=1-1/002-8464
636-9219207

I would say that of the 2 countries which are freer with weapons (Swiss and
Israel), that it is _training_ that makes the difference.

And you would say that why?

It's not the body of people with guns, it is the fact that _every_ male has
served in the armed forces in some respect.  Therefore, they have disipline,

Yuck, yuck, yuck.  I've known a whole passel of people who served in the US
armed forces, and if anything, I think there is a negative correlation between
service and clue, education, and discipline.  Now, I'm not trying to dis you,
or lots of other servicemen for whom that doesn't apply, but it's still my
impression.

rather than the carlessness which seems to prevail amongst people who own guns
here (I'm talking about Canada, but by the same token can likely be appiled to
the US).

We're largely the same, from what I've seen.  But I did notice last time I was
up north that someone put the wrong names on some candy bars.  :-)

(It's a interesting topic.  I'm not one for the current CDN policy of
registering guns, because I don't think that it makes any difference at
all...

I think it makes sense, depending on what you want.  It does not lead to what I
want.

but, I don't agree with the US style of no(practical) gun control at all
either.

I wish that's what we really had.  Actually, I think that the use and safety
issues related to firearms should be mandatory public education topics.

I think that weapons which are designed to hunt people with (handguns,
assault rifles, fully auto weapons) are not something that you need to own
_under most circumstances_.

I couldn't agree more.  But, under the circumstances for which that's not true,
how do you get them?  The citizens of the US have the right to own machine guns
, howitzers, tanks, etc so that if the gubmint gets upity, we can slap them
down.  Now, if the gubmint gets upity enough that they need to be slapped down,
and we don't already have those weapons, do you suppose that said uppity
gubmint is going to just let us have them?  Bzzzzzt!

They are tools of the military and police, not the public.)

In the US the entire citizenry is the military and the police.  So there is no
such distinction between those groups and the public.

James Powell (qualified on C7(M16A2) Assault Rifle)

Chris (who could probably pick it up pretty quickly :-)