 Off-Topic / Debate / 7086
Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 02:15:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
You are a person who (rightly so) defends your own trademarks with great
vigor.  And yet, you seem to be inviting others to 'exploit' a loophole in
the LEGO(TM) company's claim to intellectual property rights.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think most thinking people would
consider a lot of the junk in that "license" was unenforcable crap.

If I buy one of these Mosaic things I'll display it, take it apart, and/or
do whatever I want with the bricks that come with it.  If I want to buy one
and hang it in my office at work I'll do it - and Lego can stick it if they
don't like it.

I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago someone making a joke about
posting to LUGNET(TM) under a false name.  Your response was swift and
stern.  And yet the ability to make such a posting is really a loophole
isn't it?  I know why you don't want it exploited, but I can't figure out
why you don't honor the LEGO(TM) company with the same respect.

Todd's probably more rabid about honoring the legitimate IP of Lego than
just about anyone in our community.

The legal text which you reposted (with permission I assume?) seemed formal

Why would he need permission?  Was the text specifically copyrighted with a
"don't post this elsewhere without our express permission" statement
attached?  Especially given it was posted her for the purpose of discussion...

The LEGO(TM) company *finally* seems to be listening to this group of
consumers, who for years have begged to be listened to.  I think it's only
fair to meet the company half way and not attempt to exploit grey areas
that may arise along the way.

Not sure how agreeing to give them money for something they claim we have no
right to display outside of our "homes" is meeting them half way.

I think everyone who wants to do so should simply go ahead and order your
set with 5 shades of grey or whatever variation you need for your other
projects.  But don't make a big deal of it.  It's doubtful that the
LEGO(TM) company is going to be dropping by your home anytime soon to see
how you are putting its products to use.  A little mutual respect between
the consumer and a company can go a long way; and perhaps get more of these
type of products release in the future.

Tacitly accepting this stupid "license" seems to be a pretty silly thing.
I'll do what I want with my elements (including selling them if I so choose)
and I don't care what Lego thinks about it.