 General / 24215
Re: New stuff at shop.lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:55:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Who has an image that is 1/5 of each of the 5 possible colors? :-)

Here's something that just flitted through my mind:  LEGO Direct probably
decided to go with gray-scale to reduce the number of colors, to control
costs.  I wonder if they looked at dithered-color images at all?  Allowing
all/any colors would have resulted in the best-looking mosaics, but that
could definitely be a cost problem.

But they could allow a limited number of colors, and get a lot of benefit.
The current Mosiac product offers 5 color values.  By increasing this to 6
color values, they could have included three primary colors (green, red and
blue, probably) and 3 shades (white, gray, black).  This would have provided
a lot of dithering capability.

And, if their primary (cost) concern is ending up with a large number of
colors-per-set, they could set up the Brick-o-Lizer with a large number of
colors, but then throttle the number of colors allowed per purchase.  This
would result in a better color-match between the original image and the
mosaic, but they wouldn't have to provide an excessive number of baggies per
set.

YAS would be to produce a multi-color 90-plate baggie (or maybe a couple of
them, with different color combinations).  This baggie (these baggies) would
be used when a mosiac requires a small number of additional plates, in (at
least) two different colors.

Steve

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: New stuff at shop.lego.com

(...) WAY cool. So, I read what I could find and I can't tell, do I get 1x1 bricks or 1x1 plates (the latter preferred!!)?? Who has an image that is 1/5 of each of the 5 possible colors? :-) ++Lar (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.general)