 Off-Topic / Debate / 7103
Re: The Right To Exploit (WAS: Concerns regarding Brick-o-Lizer User Agreement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:13:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
[...] And yet, you seem to be inviting others to 'exploit' a loophole in
the LEGO(TM) company's claim to intellectual property rights.

Inviting it?  No.  Drawing attention to the fact that it is possible?  Yes.
Would I do it myself?  Yes.  If I buy the product and the agreement hasn't
changed to clarify the confusion, yes, I will construct the actual mosaic
with a separate program first, then upload bands of color so that I'm sure
that I haven't unintentionally given away the copyright to the mosaic and
given up my right to display such a mosaic in public.

I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago someone making a joke about
posting to LUGNET(TM) under a false name.  Your response was swift and
stern.  And yet the ability to make such a posting is really a loophole
isn't it?

That's not the same kind of loophole, Allan.  You're talking about a technical
loophole that attempts to circumvent the system.  If you succeed in posting
under a false name, you've exploited a technical loophole but you are still
breaking the Terms of Use Agreement.  That's bad.

Contrast this with the mosaic issue.  If you make your own mosaic and upload
a special color-band image to the Brick-o-Lizer[tm], you're circumventing the
system in a way which does not break the LEGO Mosaic User Agreement.  That's
not-bad.

I know why you don't want it exploited, but I can't figure out
why you don't honor the LEGO(TM) company with the same respect.

I don't advocate breaking the LEGO Mosaic User Agreement.  I offered (rather
Jeff Elliott offered, and I chimed in saying I thought it was brilliant) a
way for a user to obtain elements for a mosaic of their own design in a way
which does not break the LEGO Mosiac User Agreement and does not dishonor
TLC in any way.  If I were to agree to the LEGO Mosaic User Agreement, I would
respect it and I would not break it.  However, I think it could stand to be
more clear on some things, and therefore I would make sure that I shuffled
the up-front work outside of the scope of the Agreement, so that the unclear
portions of the Agreement were moot.

The legal text which you reposted (with permission I assume?)

I believe that the good-faith commentary I offered in my post with questions
was interleaved closely enough to avoid copyright infringement issues.

seemed formal
and stale.  Probably drawn up by a bunch of lawyers, so we can forgive the
company itself.  But it seems that everyone's first reaction to the legal
statement was to see how they could bend and bash it to fit their own
needs.  Or to simply outright question the validity of certain parts of it.

Are you more surprised by that or disappointed?

The LEGO(TM) company *finally* seems to be listening to this group of
consumers, who for years have begged to be listened to.  I think it's only
fair to meet the company half way and not attempt to exploit grey areas
that may arise along the way.

I think we need to get the gray areas nailed down as soon as possible.

I think everyone who wants to do so should simply go ahead and order your
set with 5 shades of grey or whatever variation you need for your other
projects.  But don't make a big deal of it.  It's doubtful that the
LEGO(TM) company is going to be dropping by your home anytime soon to see
how you are putting its products to use.  A little mutual respect between
the consumer and a company can go a long way; and perhaps get more of these
type of products release in the future.

I hope so too.  But I also think that we, as consumers, are actually helping
TLC by asking tough questions about wordings in user agreements and pointing
out gray areas.

--Todd

p.s.  I am not a lawyer.