 Off-Topic / Debate / 7105
Re: Electoral College
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:23:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kyle McDonald writes:
<snip?
Well to my understanding much of this is handled at a state level.  I know
Maine and one other state split votes based on congressional districts.

Yes. Maine is this way, I am still unsure how the two votes that are
representative of the senate seats are decided though.

Do they go to whomever wins the state's popular vote?
or Do they go to whomever wins the most districts?

The 2 Senate Votes in Maine do go to the popular vote winner.

<snip?

I don't think doing away with the electoral college is the
right solution. Instead I think we will see more and more
states change to systems like Maine's and (In think) Nebraska
where it is not winner take all. Having the Districts be
winner take all(1) vote in each district, and the other
2(senate) votes going to that states popular winner seems to
me to be an interesting comprimise worth trying out before
we go and throw the whole thing out the window.

I would have to agree with you but for the reason that if they did away with
the system it would make the smaller states much more insignificant and the
canidates would end up focussing on just the larger cities and States.  Thats
isn't right either IMHO.  I do think a vote broken down by district would be
good however and probably more representative of the peoples will.

Eric Kingsley