 Off-Topic / Debate / 7070
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:13:11 GMT

As an outsider looking in, they read like they will make worse most of the
things which I perceive as being problems in the US - Drugs, Gun Ownership
and lack of what we in the UK call a welfare state.

In what way does it seem to you like any of these things are a problem in the
US?  I mean that seriously.  I suspect that I will disagree completely, but I'm
really interested in the vision from outside.

I thought that was pretty clear. I think:
1. Too many people are getting shot.
2. Big drugs problem.
3. Poor welfare system.

Are these things related - I think so. Will handing out guns & LSD whilst
cutting back education and health make it any better - I doubt it.

Further, has anyone
asked him how such a sudden drop in Tax will effect inflation - keeping in
mind your economy is already overheating?

I don't know.  Really.  That would be one of the huge number of difficulties in
getting here from there.  It is generally accepted among minarchists that the
transition is the problem.  And no one has all the answers.

I'm sure if I were a right winger, holed up in the in my bunker in the
Montana mountains (with 2 years supply of Dried Food, Bottled Water and
Bullets) HB's manifesto would make pretty good reading.

Is this just a cheap insulting pot shot, or are you emphasizing that the
transition would be rough and chaotic?

Sorry for any offence - I did not mean this was the LP. I meant those in the
their bunkers right now may like it - but I doubt they vote anyway.

Scott A

I'd love to see what the demographics of his support is(?).

Me too.

Chris