 Off-Topic / Debate / 7079
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 00:09:16 GMT

I'm not going to reply to most of this, as I doubt we'd ever really reach a
consensus.

Isn't what you actually mean "I don't have any refutation"?

It really comes down to what your life is about:

1. Being a part of society

2. Or the accumulation of personal wealth.

You're right. I choose being a part of society.

What about you? I'd say that if we take a survey of your posts here (not a
scientific metric!!!) on Lugnet, you're probably going the other way. Most
of your posts are flogging things in market.auction. <grin>

I choose to be a part of society. That includes working for change. You NEED
to answer this (from a previous post) or you lose any credibility with me
(meaning that you're in the "uncritical thinker" column)

2. Are you saying, then, that because you're convinced that people should
fund these goods that your preferred mode of government provides, that you
are willing to see government extract those funds by force? Answer yes or
no, please, because that's what it comes down to.

Answer yes or no, or you're dodging, and you can't dodge the dodging charge
either... This is ALL plowed ground, though.

Restating, if you say people generally act in their self interest, I agree.
I see that as a good thing. If you mean to imply that acting in self
interest means that people never give to charity, always try to break all
laws, always try to cheat their fellows, and always act churlishly, I disagree.

It is the nature of man Larry. Like it or not.

You need to prove that statement. I'm convinced that the truth is completely
the other way. Most people are good, kind, charitable, honest and productive
members of society, and the few bad apples aren't enough to spoil it for the
rest of us in a properly structured society in which we incent good
behaviour and good outcomes and disincent bad.

If you really truly believe man is mostly bad... I pity you. Your life must
be very sad and I'm sorry for you. I mean that sincerely.

++Lar