 Off-Topic / Debate / *231 (-100)
  Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this

(...) The history was made today, the impeachment. It'll be in history books' calendars from this point on... (...) Thanks. At least this thread/my post has confirmed that I have grown up. Heck, I was only 14 then, and fresh to the internet. :) (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this

(...) I am racking my brain, but I don't get it. What is the significance of this day? There is nothing on my calender, either. (...) <Snipped well reasoned and prudent text> (...) I agree with your sentiment that this whole thread is ultimately (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Geez, its hard to stomach all of this

Greetings- Today (one of the most historic days in US history), I decided to casually search for my last name in the Lugnet archive. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.... :| I ran into a post by Steve Berry about why he stood up for his (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

how about talking the hitler or nazizm some?.. (anybody remeber the great rule saying all usenet threads has an end virtually..:-D) Selçuk (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Unfortunately it is a tenant of many religions to convert the non-believers. (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) sort of (...) Not always true. Saddam was not democratically elected. He has ruthlessly oppressed the people and opposition has been crushed. Those films we see of people fervently supporting Saddam have long been discounted, as they have been (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Oh goody, I thought you only e-mailed this to me. Saddam is an evil tyrant who poses a threat not only to his own people but to those of neighboring countries. He and seemingly his entire regime are a bunch of lying maniacal bastards and I (...) (26 years ago, 19-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Now I don't think that he's a great guy or anything, but who are you to pass judgement on him. People living in Bagdad will probably say the same about Clinton. We cannot say that he is a good or bad leader, the people in his country are the (...) (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Collateral damage is unfortunate, admittedly. I've always felt that a country's people have at least some responsibility for their leadership, though. (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Maybe it's just that there are a lot of hypocritical loudmouths who like to hide their intolerance and hate in the cloak of respectable Christianity. This is not meant to make generalizations about Christians, loudmouths or Hypocrates. Steve (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

Also sprach Mike Stanley: : Makes no difference to me what everyone else believes. Not my : business unless they try to tell me what to believe. ... and notably, you and I have never gotten into an argument about religion and faith. That's my point. (...) (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Well....probably. (...) Depends if you wish to take everything on faith regarding "weopans of mass destruction" from just *one* inspector. Sure there is a lot of stalling and attempts to block their legitimate work.... The timing is the only (...) (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Those are real missiles, and could hurt many innocent as well, not some sort of "cigars" which causes only one person (the woman) crying [with pleasure] Selçuk (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) Actually, the terrorist leader should have been tortured to death long ago. Moz (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) I agree - sort of. My experience has also been that there are more 'believers'(1) who start these flame wars, however, I've noticed that once they start, the majority of the participents (and the bulk of the volume) are from 'non-believers' (...) (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Saddam should have been assasinated a long time ago, whether by us directly or some group we put on the job. Clinton should have bombed Iraq long before now. Amazingly convenient how he timed it, though. (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) I've always been in the minority in one way or another. :) With this as with other things it is usually something to be proud of, or at least something to not be ashamed of. (...) I don't think I'm very obvious about a lot of confrontational (...) (26 years ago, 18-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Which is a much more revealing debate anyway. (G, D & R) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) You're in the minority, or so it would seem. Either that or the people that are obviously believers are a bit less tolerant of non believers but the quiet faith types (who I appreciate more anyway) are a bit more and aren't obviously beleivers (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Unlikely now.... Whenever the going gets tough, he bombs someone to take attention away. :o) And of course, our Foreign Office continues to phallate (sp?) American foreign policy. (deliberate pun) Though I do believe Saddam should be stopped, (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) It really doesn't to me. I have my faith and my father-in-law, the minister, would probably lament to hear me say it, but I don't accept that your faith or your soul or anyone else's is my responsibility. Makes no difference to me what (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Works with the boxers vs briefs subject as well. (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Larritarians of the world, unite.

(...) A silver train window would get you a reputation as a miracle worker, my son. But I REALLY need enough to do a whole Zephyr. I did not do the disclose. I merely acknowledge that there may be those that wish to send LOVE OFFERINGS my way. Is (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

Also sprach Perhaps a Princess...: : "a crusader who won't hush until he makes everyone bow to his creator" : Don't you see a very definite amount of bile in the way you phrased : this? And why it might get on people's back like fingernails on a : (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) What do you mean Clinton shouldn't be impeached [1]? :) --Mike. [1] Impeached, Impaired... how about Imappled or Imgraped? Aren't these words a little unfair to the rest of the fruit community? (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Depends on the bricks, of course, but anyone who sends thousands of bricks AS A LOVE OFFERING (1) certainly will be held in my highest esteem. (2) 1 - which rules you out, since I pay you for the thousands you send me. 2 - and I have some (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Uh. But your certain type of personality statement is exactly the kind of comment that KEEPS such arguments running, "a crusader who won't hush until he makes everyone bow to his creator" Don't you see a very definite amount of bile in the way (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Actually before folks decide to become "Larritarians" :) they should wholly examine these points which can be applied to any religious figure claiming to be something more than man: 1. He's deluded; 2. He's insane; 3. He is who he says he is; (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

Also sprach Duane Hess: : Christianity is the dominant belief in the world today (1). Until it is the : only belief, or is completely extinguished, Christians will always be : ridiculed somewhere(2). I would dispute this. First of all, in what (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <36786104.B40D0C10@c...AM.com>... (...) I don't think I've sent any train windows to you - someone else got that model team set with the windows, IIRC. Oh well, I guess I'll be down at the feet of Larry with the (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) What about those who send you thousands of bricks? (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Thanks, but please no idol worship (or idle worship either, for that matter).... My feet are made of clay. :-) (and still have brick imprints from the last time I stepped on one). However, if I WERE a god, why then, I'd have all the train (...) (26 years ago, 17-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Duane Hess wrote in message ... (...) premise (...) I had feared this might have been the interpretation, thought about it as I wrote it, but decided to leave it in. Vastly more superior....open to interpretation as to what comprises "vastly more," (...) (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) OK, since Larry is more elequent than myself and arguably better educated, does this mean that he is superior to me and thus my god? I now bow down to the Great Larry. (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

Richard Dee wrote: < Jesus existed.> Agreed. < Jesus was not the son of god.> Agreed. (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) the (...) I would beg to differ on that point. I think the various flavours of Buddhism would just pip Christianity to the post. 1 billion+ Chinamen, 120 million or so SEast Asians, a fair number of Japanese, Indians, etc. Anyway...... Has (...) (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Oh, I am quite satisfied he existed, just not as or in the fashion as described in the bible. Artistic license is possibly the best way to describe the acts and miracles with which he is attributed. The absence of him having been recorded by (...) (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) If I typed this message with both hands (actually one finger of each hand) would I be considered a "middle man", since I'm a lefty nor a righty (?) ??? Mark "If it aint Lego, it doesn't count" (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I'm gonna retract this, it was said hastily. It's difficult to prove or disprove the existence of out of system things starting from within a system. But I'll say that I've personally satisfied myself of the implausability of the Christian (...) (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Duane Hess wrote in message ... (...) Doesn't work, I'm afraid. People vary way too much. I mean, some people would be thrilled to get lingerie for Christmas. Moz (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) That is a *rule* that should be followed by all regardless of religion, or even lack thereof. The world would be a much better place if the consequences were considered before the action was taken. (...) To me his religion plays no role in my (...) (26 years ago, 16-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) Hmm. That would explain some of the things he's said -- he was actually reading the speeches verbatim. The writers actually wrote 'em that way. Steve (26 years ago, 15-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) It's an old rule of etiquette: don't bring up religion and politics in general conversation. The inverse of this is: if you want to talk about God, expect a fight. So these perennial brushfires aren't some artifact of usenet; they are a (...) (26 years ago, 15-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Could you expand on that first sentence? If you meant to say that it is impossible to prove by logic the existence or nonexistence of gods, then many (1) theists would surely agree, but if you mean that it has been proven that gods do not or (...) (26 years ago, 15-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) yes well, there's plenty of promo sets nobody knows anything about - who says the silver Metroliners weren't a promo available just in northern alaska from Exxon tank stations for those clients buying over 1 million barrels of oil? Jasper (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I'd be willing to argue that you are not, but I'd defend your right to hold your wrong-headed beliefs if you insist on illogically professing your faith in your supreme being-given right to do so. (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) By that logic, there are a whole bunch of really cool Lego elements that exist that I don't seem to be able to get hold of, like those 1x4x5 thin walls with train windows in them [1] and of course, train window & door service packs. Also, (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

I know a guy who's an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac. He lies awake at night wondering if there is a dog. JSA (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) And I thereby prove my point! (Or so I think.....). You sternly state a disbelief in a god, or a being more perfect than yourself. (Perhaps less imperfect might be a more useful term here, lest someone thinks this is an attack on you (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

Also sprach Larry Pieniazek: : I am quite satisified that the impossibility of a god existing has been : proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. And most(1) theists agree. After : all, they state that one must put aside logic and take things on faith, (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  that whole 'Christmas' Thang

OK, this is probably going to hurt when the responses roll in, but in the meantime, there's a soap box, and by God(1) I'm standing on it! First off, My impression of this whole 'Christmas debate' here is that there are several people over-reacting. (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) Even a stopped clock is right once or twice (1) a day. 1 - 24 or 12 hour clock, depending (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I don't believe that Atheism acknowledges the possibility of a god. That would be Agnosticism. At least my particular brand of Atheism doesn't. Any mention of the possibility of the existence of a being more perfect than any other by me has (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) Delayed until 7 Sep....... (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) Anthropological analysis, by someone who might be indifferent to the religions of the past societies they were studying, would possibly conclude that both Christianity and Islam were merely evolutionary mutations of Judaism, or a schism based (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) Karl Marx. Shocking, to here him quoted by such an anti-communist!!!! (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

Try Hindus or Buddists, (...) Buddhists are atheists, actually. Assuming a single, omnipotent being..... All religion has one root, from which stems numerous flavours. Too many similarities exist amongst all beliefs (and lack of, as appropriate!) to (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

Also sprach Mike Stanley: : You gotta watch out for those lefties. A sinister lot if there ever : was one. <groan> ... that was terrible .... / _ _ / _ _ No animals were harmed in the production of this post. ()(-(//((-/ ===...=== Jim Baker -- (...) (26 years ago, 14-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) You gotta watch out for those lefties. A sinister lot if there ever was one. (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) And this is longer. Steve, you've erected several straw men and then knocked them down. If you want to spar with me, disagree with what I say directly, please, or at least what is actually a valid inference from what I said, instead of trying (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

(...) Don't you guys have a rule about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you? Or is that just a guideline? (...) Dan Quayle is ridiculed because he is a political lightweight. I've never heard of anyone ridiculing his religious (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: True meaning assertions? Mischaracterization noted

(...) You are right, I mischaracterized your "The meaning of Christmas" reply. That was wrong, irrational and inaccurate of me to do so. I apologize. Now, I'll keep my word and not say another word on this subject. Steve Berry (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues

Hmmm... Something told me this would get to this point. This is long gang -- sorry. And, yes I'm aware that historical calendars put Christ's birth many months outside of December. Some scholars have thought it was more likely in June. I don't (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  True meaning assertions? (was Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) Oh, just as a clarification here, please, I dispute that I did any such thing. This whole brawl started because I, in passing, but I contend very much in context for my append, mentioned that "I celebrate Christmas because it's fun, not (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) *declining to go into religious debates* Might I just add that historically, Sanata Claus, or rather Saint Nicholas, doesn't go with Christmas? His day is celebrated on 5 december, the day before the anniversary of his death. Please keep him (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

Selçuk wrote in message ... (...) [stating] I'm not (...) I am glad I waded through all soap-box crapola... A glimmer of clear thought that cuts to the point, and stays on topic (1). 1. I guess things don't really need to stay on topic, in here of (...) (26 years ago, 13-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

Also sprach Matthew Miller: : Idea -- don't subscribe to lugnet.off-topic.debate. You misunderstand ... I am disappointed that even lugnet has gotten dragged into this perenial usenet flamewar ... I'm not complaining that it's off topic; I realize (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Well I thought I was going to sit this one out - it hits a little too close to home being a PK (1) and all. But what Mike spelled out above seems to pretty well capture my thoughts. I'll add the following rambling... There is no escaping the (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

People have been celebrating winter solstice since well before the start of Judaeism, much less Christianity. The early expropriation of that holiday by the Christian church was one of the greatest marketing ploys of the first millenium. I'm happy (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) How about neither of the above? I think you're the one being divisive, Steve. If you take umbrage at someone pointing out that they're not christian but decided to build a train with Santa on it anyway, you're way off base. Try not to pass (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I'm certainly not an atheist, but if I were to decide to choose "sides" in this very small, very insignificant disagreement, I would have to side with him. Little footnotes at the end of a message just aren't that big a deal, especially worded (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

(...) I don't mention this to be overly agumentative, but the celebration(s) that were common during the Christmas-time of year were around long before Christ. While there were several festivals during the latter half of December in Rome, focusing (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) Idea -- don't subscribe to lugnet.off-topic.debate. (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: lugnet.religion.flame

(...) The various religious debates hold no interest for me, but I actually do read them some time. And I must say, I'd rather see them here than in a general discussion area. In fact, since people will inevitably have these sorts of discussions, (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Neither. I don't think that jumping down Larry's throat because he celebrates Christmas because it's fun, was appropriate in a discussion group about Lego trains. Matt (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

Also sprach Steve Berry: : Christmas, like it or not folks, is a CHRISTIAN holiday. It exists because : Christ is the savior and this is the day we celebrate his birth. We don't : celebrate Christmas because of decorated trees, lights or over-weight (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

Steve Berry wrote in message ... (...) would. (...) in (...) Yes, it must have been originated as you mentioned, but today almost whole world celebrates it and give gifts to their firedns, and make holiday. aand this occurs regardles from any (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  lugnet.religion.flame

I just want to say how disappointed I am to see this conversation show up here. It happens in general discussion groups all over usenet; one crusader who won't hush until he makes everyone bow to his creator. Those of you who thought that lugnet (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

I guess that I have to speak up for Steve on this one..... Steve thanks for speaking out, you are not alone on the RTL ........ Jesus, he is the reason for the season......... George Sikora Steve Berry wrote in message ... (...) would. (...) in (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

Also sprach Steve Berry: : No offense, but could you be taking Larry's side on this because he comes : close to your own ideological stance on this issue? Or, is it because, as you : say, footnoting something divisive in a Trains newsgroup is o.k.? (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) even >though he doesn't believe in the Christ part? Sure, if that had been the topic (...) Matt, No offense, but could you be taking Larry's side on this because he comes close to your own ideological stance on this issue? Or, is it because, (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  My version -- The meaning of CHRISTmas

Now that Larry has defined the "True meaning of Christmas," I thought I would. Christmas, like it or not folks, is a CHRISTIAN holiday. It exists because Christ is the savior and this is the day we celebrate his birth. We don't celebrate Christmas (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) Jim, frankly, I think you're as close-minded as you say I am. I always get a kick out of how liberals and atheists always say how open-minded they are, yet as soon as someone of a Christian persuasion or someone from a different ideological (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

Also sprach Steve Berry: : Anyway, I can't speak for other people with SIGS, but I make it a point not to : voice or interject my personal beliefs in discussions unrelated to those : beliefs. I have to disagree with you here, Steve (and stick up for (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) I have to side with Larry on this one. He's building a <Christmas> Lego Train, why can't he add a footnote to explain why he's building a Christmas train even though he doesn't believe in the Christ part? Sure, if that had been the topic of (...) (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) I know, and the opportunities exist for me to return without hassle. It has been considered on a few occassions, too. (...) Thanks! (26 years ago, 12-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

(...) No, I just didn't think it was called for or necessary in a discussion about LEGO trains. And regarding the off-topic threads on your beliefs, I wasn't even aware they were going on since I don't normally read the off-topic newsgroup. Maybe I (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update

I said: (...) Many other people sign their appends with "<><", bible verses, etc. Every append, mind you, not just once in a while. I don't sign my appends "I'm an atheist", but I guess I could start. Nor have I suggested that people should take (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

<366E0FD1.67876FA4@c...OSPAM.com> <3664BF87.5043@writeme.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit (...) This is a subtle point but an important one. Life is a series of choices and trade offs. Every waking (...) (26 years ago, 11-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

Larry Pieniazek wrote (...) You're using a specific and unconventional definition of "selfish", most often used IME by evolutionary biologists and geneticists (both meat and virtual). To most of us "selfish" is similar to arrogant or unempathetic - (...) (26 years ago, 10-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

Larry Pieniazek wrote (...) But Larry, the good (selfish) view is that changing tags is fine because you benefit at the expense of people you don't know. Property rights work best when you can persuade others to adhere to them while you don't. (...) (26 years ago, 10-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

Larry Pieniazek wrote in reply to "Moz (Chris Moseley)" (...) Larry, old stick, it would be nice if you didn't simply ignore inconvenient questions. I know you don't have pat answers, but they make your provocation seem somewhat empty. Moz, who (...) (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

Larry produced a deliberately inflammatory reply to my original inflammatory post: (...) Hate to say this Larry, but over here we have a lot less government than you have, and it hasn't helped. What it does mean is that we're much more vulnerable (...) (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) The life you save may be your own. Think of it as extremely personal slightly painful insurance. (26 years ago, 10-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) (HEAVILY snipped, but hopefully without changing meaning or intent) (...) What if you gave so much money that you couldn't buy a Lego (...) Okay, now you've lost me. I would have said that this giving of blood, even knowing that it might cause (...) (26 years ago, 2-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) Well, you have to admit, though, that 12 years in Jersey would probably turn anyone against the states. There are lots of better places to live, though, with lots nicer people. (...) Good luck! :) (26 years ago, 10-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) Forgive my ignorance, toe-shoes?????? ___...___ richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam dot Web Site: (URL) Instant Messenger: RJD88888 ICQ 13177071 ___...___ For the best Lego news, visit: (URL) instructions for a model? (URL) (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) I lived there for 17 years(1), and despite the previously mentioned rip- offs, have no desire to return...... (1)2 years in Greencastle, Indiana; 3 years in Alaska (Just outside of Anchorage); and 12 years in New Jersey (2). (2) And if you (...) (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) ...but if more people were carrying toe-shoes instead of guns, they could have a ballet any time they wanted... :) Scott, who thinks this is an appropriate time for a ballet like the Nutcracker (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon

(...) I started giving blood as soon as they would let me in my senior year. Did it almost without fail every 8 weeks until i got out of the Army and through some freakish paperwork screwup was told that I was one of thousands of people who tested (...) (26 years ago, 9-Dec-98, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact