 Off-Topic / Debate / 229
228  |  230
Subject:
Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:39:09 GMT

Greetings-
Today (one of the most historic days in US history), I decided to casually
search for my last name in the Lugnet archive.  I didn't know what I was
getting myself into.... :|

I ran into a post by Steve Berry about why he stood up for his beliefs.  It
refered to how I stood up for my beliefs almost two years ago on RTL.  So I
got interested.  I read that entire thread and saw some things that as a
Christian are hard to stomach.  I read into posts that spawned that one, like
the Christmas train discussion that became a discussion on religion [1], the
meaning of Christmas, etc.  Wow.

Before I go further, I'd like to apologize for the manner I conducted myself
on RTL a few years back.  However, I don't apologize for my beliefs or for the
fact that I did take a stand.  I have moved past that immature state and have
decided to at the least present my beliefs in a respectful manner.

I agree with the message of Steve's post about the 'meaning of CHRISTmas,' but
I disagree with the way he presented it.  I am also sickened to see that
something like this has gone this far on the group.  I think it has been
allowed to go this far because of this (absolutely wonderful, thanks, Todd!
[2]) system which allows for multiple groups discussing Lego-related items,
and this *clears throat* debate group.

After being chastised by RTL, I have come to wonder why these debates become
so heated.  There really isn't a need for such harsh, hateful, divisionary
discussion among us - people who gather online to share a common interest in
Lego.  Why don't we focus on sharing our creations, knowledge, and love of an
incredible toy product instead of yelling at each other?  I hope I don't rub
other Christians the wrong way, but can we for the most part leave our beliefs
behind us and be friends?

Christians - we all know that witnessing by example is much more effective.
People will believe what you say, not what you do.  In this setting, I don't
believe it is appropriate to take this discussion this far.  I challenge you
to live by example, not by harsh, absolute words.  Pardon me for using the
overused in the entire Christian community, but What Would Jesus Do?

Non Christians - Can you please do the same?  Lets focus back on Lego and not
ripping each other to shreds.  For the most part, I have been more impressed
by the tone (not the content) of your posts.  You guys for the most part know
how to respect others.  Thank you.

That's all I can really think of.  I hope I didn't offend anyone or get anyone
upset by my post here.  I have realized my own mistake and corrected it (at
least I am 99% sure I have), and I encourage you to do the same.

Why can't we all just get along? :P

[1] I detest using this phrase, because I don't regard Christianity as a
religion in my own life.  I consider it a personal relationship with Christ.

[2] A completely sincere, non-sarcastic genuine thanks to Todd for creating
the Lugnet newsgroup system.

Sincerely,
-Tim <><
http://www.zacktron.com - Coming Soon!