 Off-Topic / Debate / 230
Re: Geez, its hard to stomach all of this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:51:56 GMT

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 19:39:09 GMT, "Tim Courtney"
<tcourtney@nospam.avenew.com> wrote:

Greetings-
Today (one of the most historic days in US history), I decided to casually
search for my last name in the Lugnet archive.  I didn't know what I was
getting myself into.... :|

I am racking my brain, but I don't get it.  What is the significance
of this day?  There is nothing on my calender, either.

I ran into a post by Steve Berry about why he stood up for his beliefs. • <Snipped well reasoned and prudent text>
Why can't we all just get along? :P

I agree with your sentiment that this whole thread is ultimately
pointless, as neither side will be swayed by the others arguments.
Without taking sides or divulging my beliefs and/or lack of beliefs, I
wish everyone _would_ calm down and just coexist peacefully.

But, as a realist, I can understand that this will not happen.  So at
least there is a forum for the arguments to be aired.  Eventually this
thread will wither down as the participants tire of it.  Only to
reappear at some future date.  Such is life. (1)

So from that perspective, it's not that hard to stomach.  No matter
what the topic or how much it conflicts with your beliefs, you have to
just distance yourself and view it objectively.  Allow that other
people do not believe as you do.  Respect their right to have their
own opinion.  If they are adament about the world being flat, accept
that that is what they want to believe.  No amount of argument will
change that.  No use getting an ulcer about it.

I just shake my head as I skim the threads (just in case the topic
changes).   Now back to the raging arguments....  :-)

-- Terry K --

1. I am not immune.  Sometimes I like to jump into the middle of an
argument.  Sometimes it's fun.  But I have learned arguments are not
much fun for me if there can be no clear victor.  This is just such an
argument.  There can be no winner.
I like being right, but I don't mind losing if the point is proved and
I am wrong.  At least I learn something.