 Off-Topic / Debate / 171
Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:32:07 GMT

Steve Berry wrote:

Why I spoke up about Larry's footnote:

Well, because I often see my side of the belief isle pushed aside
quickly and
harshly at times in discussion groups and secular society in general

Don't you guys have a rule about doing unto others as you would have
them do unto you?  Or is that just a guideline?

Look at politics for your proof.  Dan Quayle, a Christian, gets
ridiculed to this day

Dan Quayle is ridiculed because he is a political lightweight. I've
never heard of anyone ridiculing his religious beliefs.  Perhaps you
have.

Seems to me that if you felt the necessity to respond to Larry's
footnote:

3 - note that I celebrate Christmas because it's fun, not because of
Christ.(3)

a more appropriate (although still off-topic) response might have been
along the lines:

  Then please call your celebration something other than "Christmas".
  Many Christians are profoundly offended by the secularization and
  commercialization of this holiday, which they see as a corruption
  or trivialization of their celebration of the birth of Christ.

in which case I would have agreed with you 100%.  I would be delighted
to have four such holidays (two solstices and two equinoces) and not
be required to endure any accompanying religious ritual.  For years
I've intended to celebrate the Solstice around this season, but have
always forgetten.  Alas.

Maybe this year I'll make an entry in calendar(1) so as not to forget
again.  For anyone who might be playing along:

1998
  Winter Solstice    21 Dec 8:56 pm EST
1999
  Vernal Equinox     21 Mar 4:01 pm EST
  Summer Solstice    21 Jun 3:45 pm EDT
  Autumnal Equinox   23 Sep 7:31 am EDT
  Winter Solstice    22 Dec 2:44 am EST

Other notable holidays which I've never gotten around to celebrating:

  Mad Hatter Day     10 Jun
  Mad Hatter Day      Oct 6
  Procrastination Day 6 Sep

Are there any special Lego holidays we've been ignoring?  The web
page <http://www.lego.com/info/history/hist3259.asp> gives only
1 May 1954 for the registration of the LEGO tm, which doesn't seem
to me like such a red letter day.  If we could find the date in 1958
that Danish patent 92683 was issued (stud-and-tube system) that might
be a good candidate for Brickmas.  Any others?

1 - This is not a footnote (2) but rather a reference to calendar's
    unix manual section.

2 - Well, it didn't used to be.

3 - Not to leave Larry's previously self-referential footnote dangling.

4 - This is a recursive footnote virus. (4)  Copy me into your message.

--
Steve Jacquot
sj5w@virginia.edu