 Off-Topic / Debate / 191
Re: Why I spoke up -- little issues left alone sometimes become big issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:35:49 GMT

Stephen Jacquot writes:
Steve Berry wrote:

Why I spoke up about Larry's footnote:

Well, because I often see my side of the belief isle pushed aside
quickly and
harshly at times in discussion groups and secular society in general

Don't you guys have a rule about doing unto others as you would have
them do unto you?  Or is that just a guideline?

That is a *rule* that should be followed by all regardless of religion, or
even lack thereof. The world would be a much better place if the consequences
were considered before the action was taken.

Look at politics for your proof.  Dan Quayle, a Christian, gets
ridiculed to this day

Dan Quayle is ridiculed because he is a political lightweight. I've
never heard of anyone ridiculing his religious beliefs.  Perhaps you
have.

To me his religion plays no role in my conclusion that he is a complete
moron as well as a strong argument for private tutoring.  The man only
poses a threat to himself politically (if not physically) and is hence
harmless.  I do not see Dan as *proof* that Christians are ridiculed. I
do know that there will always be ridicule where there is a difference
of opinion.

Christianity is the dominant belief in the world today (1).  Until it is the
only belief, or is completely extinguished, Christians will always be
ridiculed somewhere(2).

(1) This may be like the Communist USSR telling its citizens that communism
is the dominant political system since I myself am a Christian.

(2) I am not advocating Christian domination, nor am I advocating the
persecution of Christians.  I am merely stating the absolute.