 Off-Topic / Debate / 179
Re: The meaning of Christmas (was Re: Christmas Train update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:02:16 GMT

Richard Dee wrote:

(1)Using this theory.....atheism itself can be considered
to be a god in itself. Atheism suggests an acknowledgement
of the possibility of a god, but the practitioner should
choose to not believe in the existence of. Therefor the
god manifests itself in the form of disbelief!

I don't believe that Atheism acknowledges the possibility of a god. That
would be Agnosticism. At least my particular brand of Atheism doesn't.
Any mention of the possibility of the existence of a being more perfect
than any other by me has been purely as a rhetorical device to further
an argument, not as a real possibility.

I am quite satisified that the impossibility of a god existing has been
proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. And most(1) theists agree. After
all, they state that one must put aside logic and take things on faith,
that their god admits of no logical analysis.

1 - but not Descartes, of course.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.